Tech Spam thread - because 1/4" BSP gets 5 hand spans to the jiggawatt

Roman

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, h4nd said:

Send me a pic of it's innards, and I'll tell you how to goose it. The resistor is gonna cost you 12c

Actually here's a tangental question - what we do have already is a 3 phase fed 28v DC ground power unit for starting turbines, how do I tap off a 14v feed from that without frying myself? it's the size of a doghouse and good for 200a 

@ajg193 it's for rigging some electric landing gear that has a dynamic brake on the actuator, the manual is insistent that in order to get everything to stop in the right place with the right tension on the locks given the momentum of the whole assembly, that it be rigged at 14v instead of 12v. It's not really "precisely 14v", just more something in line with what the bus would be expecting with the engine operating 

• Like 1

That'd definitely do it, too... Price is getting a little up there for something thatd only be getting hauled out once or twice a year. 

Ideally I'd like to modify our 28v ground power unit as discussed above, but $500 doesn't even buy much sparky time these days. Anyway at least I've got a few options now 

• 2 weeks later...

Fucked up and took Anglia to vtnz for wof, multiple rechecks and brake adjustments later they told me to just go somewhere that does a road test instead of rollers.

The car stops dead straight with your hands off the steering wheel but every time they test it the back brakes give a different result.

Bugger em, booked in for a wof somewhere else now 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Rotary counterweights.

I have a counterweight from an N/A 13b. Which part of the engine is this matched to?

The rotors? 

I also have the flywheel off the same motor. That has some pretty significant counterweight machined into it too. 

Would I sell these parts together?

On 13/08/2023 at 21:15, HighLUX said:

Think the vac hose from the booster to the manifold was the issue, it was all hard and split on the end of the hose where it slides onto the booster. Cut it a bit shorter and slid it back on then tried the idle re learn again followed by a bit of a drive. Seems to be happy and doing what its supposed to like bumping the idle up when AC turns on etc.

Idle seems alot more stable and doesnt fluctuate even slightly like it used to. Would make sense with how the problem has slowly got worse as the hose fell to bits with the fact I dont think the idle was reset by the battery shop or the auto sparkys when the alternator was done so dodgy idle from that and the vacuum leak making it worse/even worse when it was trying to reset the idle

Basically I was today old when I learnt that Toyotas with drive by wire freak out when you take the power off the battery.

So yeah the problem came back and have had a good chance to look at it. Started by testing the resistance of the cam and crank angle sensor. Cam was sweet but the crank was all over the show hmmm it must be stuffed so started taking the alternator off to get to it.

Turns out the auto sparky who replaced the alternator was a massive dick fingerer. Alternator was loose on the main swing bolt and they had snapped the hidden lower mount bolt with the belt tension pulling the alternator in and on an angle slightly. This had squished the wires to the crank sensor and chewed thru one completely with it still sometimes completing the circuit thru the alternator body. Guess the alternator moving slightly sometimes as it loaded up or unloaded would make the circuit or kill it completely which is why it was so intermittent 

• Like 8

Ok science nerds, I think I know the answer if I have a tall pressurised cylindrical vessel (25+bar head) 1/2 full of water with a drain at the bottom is it the same or more or less susceptible to vortexing than the equivalent tank without the head of pressure?

4 hours ago, mjrstar said:

Ok science nerds, I think I know the answer if I have a tall pressurised cylindrical vessel (25+bar head) 1/2 full of water with a drain at the bottom is it the same or more or less susceptible to vortexing than the equivalent tank without the head of pressure?

Potentially worse due to the possibility of having gas entrained in the liquid.

We put vortex breakers inside our separators above the outlet pipework and it helps but not cures it.

Yeah I figured worse, the level transmitter suggests the tank is over 50% full but potentially telling lies. Vortex can be brutal, even with just minimal suction head from a pump let alone 20+bar in a condenser vessel with a bunch of steam hooning at a couple of hundred degrees..

I looked deeper into the system and I'm even more convinced that she's got the mean swirl on.. I wish it was a glass vessel so you could see what's happening.