Random Fabrication Thread

downtrail

We have those same helmets at work.

I dont like them so much.

I use the same lead too, I quite like it.

I wish I could build sweet random shit like pops up from you.

I get to much production shit for my liking. Prefer one offs and custom builds

From trade tools aint they? My work supplied them too. I kept getting flashed as work angle ment the sensors got blocked

Got mine overseas for about 150nzd. Big screen, four sensors.. Not flashed since

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah. Ours are supplied by BOC.

The view window doesn't sit right so when you are welding low down you need to tip your hea real far forward to see as the window is quite high in the mask. So I flipped it upside down and it's good for that but then it needs to stay a bit higher when normal height welding meaning there's a gap between chest and bottom of mask and the arc reflects off my overalls. End up with mild flash burn and can normally only see my face in the reflection caused by light getting in.

I've since reverted back to standard position of window and deal with the lower stuff.

Head strap adjustment does nothing.

From trade tools aint they? My work supplied them too. I kept getting flashed as work angle ment the sensors got blocked

Got mine overseas for about 150nzd. Big screen, four sensors.. Not flashed since

when you used to get flash off the old mask was this using tig? when tigging under 30amps you do need more sensitive autodarkning masks.

Yes, tig, 120a.

I think sensors above and below lenses are mandatory.

I know u can't get arc eye from the flashing but asside from pissing ya off and fucking with concentration I had to keep stopping as just couldn't see when the lenses would go dark again Lol.. Too many stars

A lot of the auto darkening masks will struggle with tig, when you start getting low on the amp settings. I wouldn't recommend using settings below 30a, unless its a specific tig mask. One without sensitivity settings, is a no go for tig. 

Ive found with those cheep auto darkening helmets that its the battery's in them that poo out my old one I took out the little button batteries and wired in a pack of aa's was sweet after that. My new helmet is from ezi tools I think was another alcheepo but its been great low amp tig no worries.

Winch bumper I built for the Samurai

2f51oyi2.gtq.jpg

Used old computer chair to get winch in good position then took measurements around it

1lafa4jt.30a.jpg

cziquxpe.25d.jpg

4mm centre and 3mm sides

onv1sddz.rje.jpg

Bent the 4mm top plate around the hook from an over-eager pull, so built uprights and pipes only for

the purpose of exterior gussets as interior gussets were impossible due to the winch

jh1wgpqf.x1w.jpg

o0ncuxa1.evd.jpg

ji0tryv0.sts.jpg

Test of the bumper, the front corner is all that's holding it up

ydxdsvuu.zqj.jpg

• Like 5

My Cigweld one was ~$199 and was pants (didn't react quick enough) on the limited TIG I did on course. Sweet as for MIG, so might pay to check whatever one you look at, is suitable. I'm 99% sure I would have had the settings set correctly to try and combat it not working. Your experience might be different though. I don't have a TIG welder to go and try again to confirm 100%, so it could have been user error. 

I bought a cigweld one recently, works OK, but not markedly better than my 15 year old cheap-ass china model.

I felt stiffed on the price, because it looks basically the same as the cheap ones on TM. Def wouldn't pay $300 for home use, maybe if you are going to be welding all day for work.