hilux engine

michael

Im looking at buying a hilux surf with a 3l petrol in it (3vz) I was just wondering if these engine are very good, reliable etc. I remember someone telling me ages ago that one of the engines the surf came out with were shit and to stay away from them. Just cabt remember which one it was.

Cheers

Basically, the turbo Diesel engine for that model is rather rubbish too. I'd got for the v6 myself..... But they are a little problematic.

If you're looking for a 4wd of 85-95 Vintage I'd go a Terrano/Pathfinder. Especially petrol. In fact, for the age I'd go any of the major brands, petrol all the way, old petrols are way less headaches." Than old diesels.

Is that the 2.4 styles? Cheer for the info guys. Yeah I seen that one willdat. It does look good but im trying to look for something around 4k if I can. Dont expect to find a minter if course, just dont want something thats gonna cock out on me

Yeah, the 2.4, "2L-T" engine. A mate has a Hilux with the non turbo version, the 2L, and all I've heard about them in terms of reliability is good, but they take a week to get to 100kmh, and can't get over even a small hill at more than 60!

Very slow engine lugging around a hilux, not so bad in my cressida. (2L we are talking here)
2l has been ok to me. Only problems I had were caused by lack of servicing rather than design flaws.

Mines been great since I've been looking after it. Regular oil changes, filter changes with good quality filters, use moreys fuel additive etc...

Isuzu Bighorn would be my pick.

Can be had in 4JG2 (3.1) turbo diesel, manual guise for about $4,000.

I've helped to rebuild several of these engines and they only really cause issues when abused AND not looked after.

Plenty of space (seven seats depending on model), decent power and a great tow vehicle for the price.

I'd stay the hell away from an equivalent Surf. But that's just my opinion and experience.

As has been said, the 2L and even 2L-T are barely adequate to propel the vehicle along at a decent clip. Or tow anything worth mentioning.

1kz all the way, came out in the kzn165 and kzn185 surfs, the d4d is just the common rail version.. they do suffer from bhgs in the surfs but mainly because people don't look after them, its all to do with the cooling setup, get that right and they'll do 500k easy

I had a VZN130 Surf once that went OK. It wasn't a powerhouse with only 110kW/150hp but it sounded nice. Fuel consumption was around 15-20L/100km around town. I picked it up not long after the previous owner had spent $2k+ on reconditioning the heads and replacing gaskets only to find the automatic trans gave up the ghost. Turns out it was a blocked filter (cheers Camel!) and a $30 filter kit + $50 of fluid later it was back up and running well. I think I sold it for about $3300 about this time three years ago and that seemed to be the going price for them.

I would look at the mid-late 90s model if going V6 as it comes with the much much better 3.4 5VZ-FE quad cam engine which seems to be far more reliable and more powerful.

If you find the V6's that have been in the country long enough or are NZ new Toyota replaced the blocks under warranty, head gaskets weren't really the problem the block would corrode and need to be decked.

With regard to the Isuzus they are way more spendy to rebuild than the rest, crome lined bore means re- sleeving so they were about 2 grand dearer than Toyota's and Mitsis. The 3.0L overhead cam Isuzu diesels you should avoid, they are cheap but also completely shit.

Seeing as i wreck 4x4's for a living ill share a bit of my knowledge.

Isuzu bighorns. Good value for what you get. Although the diesels suffer from blown head gaskets and front pulley keyway stripping out (very common fault) other than that there's zillions of them around and they are built tough

Nissan Terranos (d21 shape) Diesels are good if you find a good one, getting old now but generally the engines are pretty bullet proof. Manual gearboxes often break. Suffer from rust. The V6 ones go well. More reliable than the diesels. Drink lots of fuel though, not as much fuel as a V6 Surf though!

The mrs sister has got one for sale ATM newer model ssr surf with lift kit and big tyres ect ect she's asking around 4.5k ill get more details if you are keen on it mate its pretty tidy in the body work side of things apart from paint fad but pretty fair to say it hasn't had any serious offroading before flick me a text if intrested 0221245460