steelies' box house

Steelies

any of you chaps want to magic me an 'acceptable alternative' to bracing the roof to the box?

Something something use the twistlocks and lock it into the container?

Then if you ever put a second story on then you can remove the existing roof of the first container and just biff it onto the top of the second container.

01.jpg

• Like 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yep kk i wanted to twist lock it to the footings too but the engineers didnt want a bar of it.

it seems biggest mind fuck of this project has been that you can't use simple ideas outside the norm because it costs joe bloggs too much to prove they're legit. sucks when the idea is widely known to be a no-brainer.

• Like 1

lined with EPS sandwich freezer panel and that's it. container already painted in 2pack, not keen for any more hot work.

should have got 2 x 20'ers!

there is more welding to do on it anyway, unfortunately. needs tags on top for roof bracing but they couldnt be done pre-paint as they made the box over-height for transport. and welding to steel plates in the footings.

any of you chaps want to magic me an 'acceptable alternative' to bracing the roof to the box?

Magnets?

• Like 2

I dont see why your bothering with footings at all, surely as a box it falls under the same category as a portacom or carport and a doesn't require building consent as its not actually fixed to the ground. To me the whole point in a container house is to retain that "transportabiltiy" otherwise you may aswell just build a regular house with corrugated steel walls... 

I dont see why your bothering with footings at all, surely as a box it falls under the same category as a portacom or carport and a doesn't require building consent as its not actually fixed to the ground. To me the whole point in a container house is to retain that "transportabiltiy" otherwise you may aswell just build a regular house with corrugated steel walls...

portacoms are only allowed without consent if they're used on site to support the construction of a building etc which has been granted consent.

you can't just throw a portacom/container on a bit of land, dig a longdrop and live in the box.

portacoms are only allowed without consent if they're used on site to support the construction of a building etc which has been granted consent.

you can't just throw a portacom/container on a bit of land, dig a longdrop and live in the box.

• Like 1

yep kk i wanted to twist lock it to the footings too but the engineers didnt want a bar of it.

it seems biggest mind fuck of this project has been that you can't use simple ideas outside the norm because it costs joe bloggs too much to prove they're legit. sucks when the idea is widely known to be a no-brainer.

This seems to be more of a common problem in nz. Shame. They ( those pencil pushers in head office) are all a bit paranoid and will do anything to cover their arses.

tbh, I understand where the councils are coming from, theres a whole bunch of factors which would determine whether something is suitable over the long term etc that making a special case for one person just doesnt make sense time wise. I have dealt with a bit of this stuff before regarding other law makers etc and the time it can take up is crazy. If they did take special cases all the time, then we would all be here whinging that the councils take too long get anything done

So basically I agree with steve, can it just sit on posts and not be connected to the container at all?

The container could fall under the same category as a carport or portacom, but neither of those are consented for residential habitation, so it could only be used for storage. And portacoms are generally issued limited consents for the duration of the construction project, so you'd have to keep trying to get renewed consent on your house...

Keep in mind that the council does have to cover it's ass, because they're the ones we'll all be blaming if they ok something, theres an earthquake, the container rolls down the hill, and someone dies. Everyone would be jumping up and down yelling about how they could be so irresponsible blah blah blah. And I don't think you want to dwell on how much it would cost to apply for a consent if they had to have liability insurance to cover unproven methods.

Unfortunately, the reality of trying to do things on a limited budget, especially when it comes to the structural side, is that you can't get too experimental. You have to go with "tried and true".

Experimental is for ambitious architects with plenty of cash and big ideas.