Muffler Tech

Truenotch

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I found that out when I built the one for the corolla. I cut and shut one then got it copied. Problem that time though was that there was no possible way to bend the impossible angles I needed. Lesson learned, cost was the same, just more of my time needed to fine tune, every, bend.

Changed the exhaust on my Silverado recently. It has a dual 2.5 system with reasonably large straight though type mufflers. The tail pipes went out the back, one on each side, so the passengers tail pipe crosses over as both mufflers are on the drivers side. The passengers side tail pipe rusted out on the back of a couple of tight bends so needed replacing. Wanting to have a change I decided to have a side exit just in front of the rear wheel. I also thought that having tail pipes that were 600mm long would be a bit louder. The old ones were 1.5 and 2.5 long.

Interestingly the exhaust is no louder and potentially a bit quieter. I am wondering that now the tips are side by side, does this has an effect on the sound, they used to be about 1.5m apart. The other thing is the pipes take a hard 120 degree turn straight out of the mufflers then another turn back to exit out the side. Could this have a muffling effect?

Any ideas?

• 3 years later...

Thread Dredge. 

Looking for some opinions on number of and type of mufflers i can use on my Ecotec turbo project i've bought a single Maxfab resonator to check out their quality, i'll get the exhaust fitted up to the diff with the resonator to get it running. i'll be running 3.5 inch right through and am wanting to keep it fairly quiet as i use it to tow and do mainly street driving, guess i can let the wastegate do the talking if i want it rowdy.

My manifolds are going to be made from schedule tube bends so i'm hoping combined with turbo should take quite a bit of noise out before it gets to the first resonator. if i have to fit something out the back to tone it down further what would you recommend? i've got plenty of space. 

I will be getting this certed so any feedback on what else is needed in that regard would also be useful.

Ecoboost.jpg

38 minutes ago, cletus said:

Adrenalin r mufflers work well, I have 1x on my Plymouth, 3.5 inch straight thru and it makes more difference than I thought 

I have Adrenalin mufflers on the Tiger. I got them off a guy who was making the locally in Hastings. Don't know if he is still there now as it was a few years ago.

They sound real nice.

• Like 1

On 09/08/2023 at 21:35, Muncie said:

Thread Dredge. 

Looking for some opinions on number of and type of mufflers i can use on my Ecotec turbo project i've bought a single Maxfab resonator to check out their quality, i'll get the exhaust fitted up to the diff with the resonator to get it running. i'll be running 3.5 inch right through and am wanting to keep it fairly quiet as i use it to tow and do mainly street driving, guess i can let the wastegate do the talking if i want it rowdy.

My manifolds are going to be made from schedule tube bends so i'm hoping combined with turbo should take quite a bit of noise out before it gets to the first resonator. if i have to fit something out the back to tone it down further what would you recommend? i've got plenty of space. 

I will be getting this certed so any feedback on what else is needed in that regard would also be useful.

Ecoboost.jpg

IMG_20230815_130546_edit_186251393064808.thumb.jpg.87ee34cc02906ed511d03a2a1258fb6d.jpg

• Haha 1

On 10/08/2023 at 22:06, cletus said:

Adrenalin r mufflers work well, I have 1x on my Plymouth, 3.5 inch straight thru and it makes more difference than I thought 

Noticed at drag day your car sounds about the volume I'm after. What Size is your pipework?

21 minutes ago, Kerry-TGI said:

What's the go with those are they actually pretty mint?

They do sound good but rowdy on 4 cylinders 2" exhaust I'd use them. Don't even think they do 3.5" 

I worked at woolf mufflers for a stint back when my car was new anything bigger than 3" was unheard of. My knowledge is pretty hazy and so much new shit is out there now. I've fitted a stack of cobys to FXGT's back in day though and quite a few eg civics.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Kerry-TGI said:

What's the go with those are they actually pretty mint?

I have been fitting them them to everything from motorcycles to lawn mowers, they do one called a Super Coby that has a chamber in the front that sounds super nice on an old 6 cylinder, I had some of them on a v8 with duels and it was nice, I have one on my 4 cylinder Volvo

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Kerry-TGI said:

They're actually very competitively priced, do you just mimic the old muffler when deciding size and weld in the same place?

Basically just cut out the old muffler but with my friends 57 Fairlane its getting 2" duels with 10" Cobys up by the transmission, will sound nice with the old Y block 

• Like 1

I made a round 4" 4 chamber muffler for one of my Triumphs probably 20 years ago if you like the sound of a Flowmaster....

It sounded awesome like a Bathurst XU1 Torana. Was considering making a chambered and baffled muffler to damp noise right down but hopefully keep flow up.

Though I think I'll check out an adrenaline r muffler first.

• Like 1