Auckland Meet - 23 January

EURON8

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The cops saw the lads in the 260z and RX7 (sorry, don't know names) leaving and pulled the 260z over while trying to exit the driveway. Ended up with the 260z parked in the middle of the road, cop lights flashing and everyone confused as to exactly what was going on. It seems that the cops were just driving past and were curious as to why cars were coming down from a private carpark at that time of the night. Guess they figured we were doing skids or whatever. It's worth noting that everyone was behaving themselves - no skids, no rubbish, etc and nobody had laid a complaint. Just a couple of young cops freaking out about a few old cars. Cops told 260z driver to leave his car in the middle of the road and not go anywhere and then came up the ramp. We started explaining that we'd been coming to this carpark for years, once every month, for our car club meet and we'd never had a complaint. The cop was concerned that we were on private property and wanted to know who owned the building, etc. He eventually went to talk to the BF lads to see what they had to say.

While he was gone cop #2 was left standing around so I went to talk to him to ask a) what was actually the problem and had there been a complaint and b ) were they stopping us all from leaving or only the guys currently at the bottom of the ramp. Cop #2 wasn't very on to it but basically said we were on private property which we shouldn't be and that nobody could leave. Eventually cop #1 came back and for some reason chose to come after me and ask if I represented the club. I said no but why was he asking... He said BF didnt own the carpark and they never said we could park there and that we should never park there again because it's private property, etc, etc. In his defense he said that if we want to keep parking there then we could ask for permission from the owners. I ended up clarifying that we know that BF don't own the carpark and that we just happen to park there and then go to BF for dinner - have been doing so for years - never had a complaint and see the security guard all the time. At that point he ended up saying that in that case everything was fine, apologised and left.

As a note, Ned reminded me that many moons ago a club member did give us permission to park there as he worked in the building at the time. I didn't mention that to the cop, and isn't really relevant to us anymore anyway in my opinion.

Sorry about the long post. Figured it was best to get all the info down before I forget...

yeah, used to be my office car park, and there were no issues for OS to use it then... but I haven't been in that building for 4 or so years now...

I had thought BF had said their customers could park up there, but can find nothing to support that belief...

Woah ok.

I will get on to it.

Will have a yarn to the building owners and see if I can get a little something in writing.

I would imagine the cops attitude is a direct result caused by your standard perception of a group of young people and cars.

Ill have a word to the local bobbies once I've heard from the building owners also.