DIY Fuel injection thread.

yoeddynz

If you advance the ignition timing and the engine wants to make more power, but it cant because it knocks - then higher octane fuel will help your motor make more power, by allowing more ignition timing without knock. 
If you advance the ignition timing and the engine makes same or less power, with no knock. Then a higher octane fuel wont do anything.

If you just switched fuel to something different with no other changes, it's unlikely you'll make any more power. 
Unless you're using partially oxygenated fuels (like E85) or nitromethane or whatever. hah.

I'm fairly sure that back in the day, when MSNZ banned avgas for racing (or something similar, paraphrasing horribly probably) 
Everyone had a big sook about it, but then retuned their cars for 98 octane and found they made the same or more power anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the day.On an octane limited turbo 1500cc    95 was  good for about 15psi boost. 98 20psi.  Half avgas half 98 was good for 24psi.   Around the 30kw mark for each jump.  Pretty sure it was the full lead stuff not 100ll 

3 minutes ago, kpr said:

Back in the day.On an octane limited turbo 1500cc    95 was  good for about 15psi boost. 98 20psi.  Half avgas half 98 was good for 24psi.   Around the 30kw mark for each jump.  Pretty sure it was the full lead stuff not 100ll 

Incorrect

• Haha 1

Vacuum source question time. 

The Honda tb I'm using has its map sensor fitted here... 

20231018_102748.jpg.f338a85209eea3a06979f29001419e2f.jpg

Which takes its vac signal from the engine side of the throttle disc... 

20231018_102805.thumb.jpg.2552ced5577b619c9d07bf49c5af47d8.jpg

This is fine. I'm happy with that. I'll make a vac line fitting to fit where the Honda sensor bolts on and run my vac tube to the ecus built in sensor. 

My question is this..

Would it be fine to add a tee to the vac tube for my fuel pressure regulator. My gut feeling Is that it's fine. Vacuum is vacuum and they'll both get exactly the same signal.  But thought I'd check. 

5 minutes ago, kpr said:

If its  map based tune,  run vac to reg.    if running itb's and tps tune (alpha n)  that doesn't reference map,   I would run a flat fuel pressure. 

I'd have thought that whatever the load source, you'd just have slightly different VE numbers at low throttle with it disconnected?

i just came back here to correct myself on that, yeah you would just tune around the change in flowrate with VE table. i guess its only important for boost pressure where you might actually stiffle the flow enough to run out of injector unless you ramp up the pressure to compensate.