DIY Fuel injection thread.

yoeddynz

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what size fuel pump .how many litres per hour davo ,my pressure is up to 75lbs 1 13mm fuel line then y joint to feed both then back to adj fuel reg then back to tank ,i was having over heating problems with the 040 bosch motor sport pump 300 litres per hr ,i went back to a 190 bosch motor sport pump 130 litres per hr 

• Like 1

Yea heat soaked fuel comes from pumping it too much, so if you have massive pump, and are returning it to a surge tank you will likely have problems if you aren't driving at wot most of the time.

:wub:  PWM fuel pump controllers, enough pump for over 1000hp @ wheels, not more excessive fabrication than you'd normally need for a fuel system big enough to make that power and when normal driving you don't have to feel like you are in a dental surgery and your fuel doesn't end up needing it's own radiator.

• Like 2

Also, what's the deal with AN- fittings? 

As best I can tell:

Pros:
-???

Cons:
-Bulky and ugly, usually come in gross colours
-Harder to take on/off than banjo bolts
-Sometimes need two connections at a single end, so more things to potentially come undone
-Need huge radius on hose bends
-Risk of a hose slipping out?
-Hard to know when they're tightened correctly / overtightened

I guess they're the easiest option when you need a lot of custom lines, but ergh I hate the idea of using them.
I've got them on my oil filter relocator currently.
I'm pretty hesitant to use them for anything fuel related, especially on connections that need to be done up and undone a lot.
However it looks like it might be the only option if I want an adjustable FPR.
  • Like 1

should be able to barb fitting a FPR, the ones I have are all barbs.

Pro's -

no need to replace crush washers or O-rings and removal / install is pretty easy, can join a straight fitting where a banjo can't, tidy option to reduce/adapt to different size or metric threads.

AN - fittings are hand tight plus 1 flat, if it leaks an additional 1/2 flat is an option. I like to use a drip of oil on the threads

Risk of hose slipping out is probably only an issue if incorrect hose type or fittings not put together properly?

I was also semi against them, but have used in a few places where stuff gets removed a lot and I do think they have thier place, and last well so long a no cross-thread action occurs. Just not those blingy blue/red ones with shiny ss braided hose, black fittings and fibre braid or black hose FTW.

• Like 2

they are painful to buy but they do work really well, and you can get black for most fittings so colour isnt so bad. You need to be quite selective about which angle fittings to buy but it works out well in the end. As someone who is dedicated to getting the best out of his car, you should appreciate the good flow characteristics of the large bend radius haha

I have them on my fuel system and they work well being constantly tightened and loosened

• Like 1

would be worth grabbing an infrared thermometer (about $120 on trademe) to trace where your fuel is being heated cause its hard to imagine its just heatsoak through rail mounts ?

I guess it's easy to tell whether it's the friction/heat etc just from pumping the fuel around that causes a temp increase, turn the pump on while the motor is off.

So I did this, with a thermometer sitting in a hole in the fuel rail.

With the engine not running, it took a long friggen time for the temperature to go up by even 1 degree. (keeping in mind that the car has a full gas tank currently)

However turn the engine on, and fuel rail temp increased by about 1.5 degrees per minute. It's possible that ambient air temp was increasing as well and biasing the results, but, it seems pretty clear that pumping the fuel around just on its own generates a negligable amount of heat increase.

In my opinion I think it's radiant heat from the engine, and heat coming directly through the rail bolts causing the temp increases. So heat proofing the rail somehow and insulating the bolts looks as though it might make the best difference.

bh1vtmte.a1c.jpg

uf2wakvc.fvp.jpg

• Like 4

In relation to above, Common Rail diesel cars generally have a fuel cooler in place, buuuuutttt its always placed on the return rail back to the tank, rather than cooling the fuel coming to the rail. 

I think this is more credibility towards the idea that it's generally the rail that heats up the fuel.

This way you're cooling it just after it's been heated, so its not hot back at the tank and second time around. 
Also minimising complexity of the high pressure side.

Fascinating topic!

ulpjttf2.job.jpg

• Like 2

At this rate he'll need to start using logarithmic scales to contain his graphs of graphs [... of graphs]  ;)

But rather interesting the fuel is getting so hot...

Is this a reason the Altezza's use a return-less system?

(or regulated / returned at the pump, not the engine).

• Like 1

I think returnless system is something to do with simplifying manufacturing and maybe fuel vapour stuff or something like that.

re fuel cooling. its much easier to reject energy from a hotter source

e.g. you can reject the smae amount of energy from the hot thing to the cold thing faster with 1x hotter thing to cold thing, than 2x not quite as hot thing hot thing with half the energy (i.e. same total engery but at lower heat) to same cold thing.

funny that the rule of this was discovered by a guy called carnot.

• Like 1