DIY Fuel injection thread.

yoeddynz

Fred? He doesnt like tunerstudio and wants to do his own thing, but that hasnt happened yet. Tuner studio has some limitations etc and apparently isnt unlikely for it to do the wrong thing. I have no idea and dont know anything about that side.

The more and more i'm thinking about it, the more and more keen i am to just redo my board for speeduino haha, but a dedicated board, none of this arduino shield stuff. I mean those are the micros i cut my teeth on at work, and know them like the back of my hand so software development would be much easier for me :P and i could actually tune my car if i changed haha

• Like 3

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ned you should make a micro for carb guys that does data logging. There is a hole in the market I think, the options around have fuck all inputs and when they do they cost more than a high end engine management. I want to log like 10 analog/digital inputs (wideband, tps, rpm, map, etc) so I can track jetting and timing changes. This kinda thing could also double as a engine warning light when installed permanently so I can ditch the ugly gauges, takes oil pressure/water temp/trains temp and spits a light when they fall out of range. There's nothing like that on the market either (again that doesn't cost 1x moon beam)

• Like 3

The more and more i'm thinking about it, the more and more keen i am to just redo my board for speeduino haha, but a dedicated board, none of this arduino shield stuff.

You certainly have the knowledge. Whats this Arduin sheild thing you talk of? Is it some sort of licensing thing or is it limitations created when using the arduino chips?

What are/is Micro? Is that geek talk for a type of processor chip that people use? 

Glad to see you over there on that speeduino forum with some good advice and help already on the thread I started. There are a lot of total newbies like myself who have not even touched Arduino so know very little about what they talk of. I do find it extremely fun learning the stuff so long as I take the time to let the information absorb into my brain. Sometimes I think with all the sudden inputs of geeky lecky talk my brain goes a bit like the ladies brain in this clip..

Ned you should make a micro for carb guys that does data logging. There is a hole in the market I think, the options around have fuck all inputs and when they do they cost more than a high end engine management. I want to log like 10 analog/digital inputs (wideband, tps, rpm, map, etc) so I can track jetting and timing changes. This kinda thing could also double as a engine warning light when installed permanently so I can ditch the ugly gauges, takes oil pressure/water temp/trains temp and spits a light when they fall out of range. There's nothing like that on the market either (again that doesn't cost 1x moon beam)

You could just build one of these speeduino things and use only the inputs. Then use tunerstudio and log it that way?

Or this jam a tablet up for your dash.

http://www.14point7.com/products/idash

So cool. Will get cheaper too. Android tablets can be bought for such little monies too so very enticing!

why are warning lamps a thing? bells seem 101% better than lamps but you never see them used.

Even warning lamps are a zillion times more useful than most gauges though.

It's funny when people fit a zillion gauges that they're expecting to be able to monitor in realtime while driving at the limit.

Like say you've got an oil pressure gauge. 

The only time you really need to be looking at it, is when you're pulling lots of revs in a high G cornering situation.

Who in their right mind is going to be looking down at the dash, at a randomly sweeping needle while driving this way. 
As that's when you need to be focusing on your driving the most.

Warning lights / buzzers are most certainly underrated. I guess in a way they're more difficult to setup though, because they need some logic applied in order to make sense.

If you can have some logic to how the lights work, IMO an ideal setup would be:

Speedo
Temp gauge (or just hot and cold warning lights)
Shift light
Oil warning light that flashes if oil pressure is below XYZ when above XYZ RPM
AFR warning light that flashes if the AFR is higher than say 16:1 when you're above 90% throttle
Maybe a knock light 

Even better if you could just have a generic warning light/buzzer that can flash if any of the above thresholds are breached, and you know to just instantly get off the gas. Then maybe trundle back to the pits and see what's going on in your logs.

Any pointers on making a narrowband O2 sensor last more than 12 months?  

Could be a heat thing? Might need to fit it slightly further downstream in the exhaust perhaps? 
Not running leaded fuel or anything?
  • Like 1

In other news, I adjusted my timing at cruise conditions of 30 degrees advance up to 40.

Car seemed to run quieter as well and the exhaust note changed, unless I was imagining it. 

No knocking and I went from 10.something litres per 100km down to 7.4 

notbad.jpg

Tried advaning it 10% more but economy worsened. Will keep splitting the difference to find the best numbers. 

• Like 2

Damn. Maybe I might play some more with my cruise advance. I think Im running a slightly safe tabel. I have no knock sensor so can only go by ear/feel. I know that around town when I leaned things out it would start hunting slightly on low loads. Mybe just more advance instead.

Maybe I ship my Viva up to Dave's economy shop....

A few jet boaters run Link, and I was wondering if a knock sensor would detect cavitation. It'd provide them an easy way to get repeatable thrust. I've seen quite a few hit the juice too hard in the jetsprints, and if the system spools up too fast the cavitation just kills their acceleration (and impeller edges eventually, I guess).

Could be a heat thing? Might need to fit it slightly further downstream in the exhaust perhaps? 

Not running leaded fuel or anything?

It's just on 98, i think it used to have dual 02's (front and rear maybe) but now it just has one. Consumption has jumped up a couple of litres /100km and scan tool tells me it's a dead or dying o2.. last time i tried a clean first which saw it come right for a couple of weeks but was not a permanant fix. 

I was thinking the warm-up tune may be a little rich?

A few jet boaters run Link, and I was wondering if a knock sensor would detect cavitation. It'd provide them an easy way to get repeatable thrust. I've seen quite a few hit the juice too hard in the jetsprints, and if the system spools up too fast the cavitation just kills their acceleration (and impeller edges eventually, I guess).

If you used a Bosch style wideband knock sensor, and cavitation causes vibrations somewhere in the 4-20khz range that's louder than the regular vibration levels then I'm pretty sure you could setup something useful even if it was just datalogging. 

If you had some sort of water speed sensor (or maybe just a MAF sensor on front of boat that you can correlate to air speed) then you could use a map that varies the impeller rev limit as the boat speed increases

Or use the 3d launch control to do some weird stuff while the boat is below XYZ speed

Orrrr you could setup the impeller speed as a boat speed input, then have a second speed input measuring actual water/air speed.

Then use the traction control software to monitor 'slip' between the two. 
So if impeller speed goes (for example) more than 5x faster than boat speed it cuts ignition until it's below that threshold again.

There's probably 10 different ways you could acheive the same thing, but it would be hard to know what actually works without some testing. 
Definitely doable though I reckon.

Take them out and soak them in simple green over night then blow out and re install. Thats how I clean my wideband after some peoples sooty ass cars coat it in crap.

It's just on 98, i think it used to have dual 02's (front and rear maybe) but now it just has one. Consumption has jumped up a couple of litres /100km and scan tool tells me it's a dead or dying o2.. last time i tried a clean first which saw it come right for a couple of weeks but was not a permanant fix. 

I was thinking the warm-up tune may be a little rich?

• Like 1

Damn. Maybe I might play some more with my cruise advance. I think Im running a slightly safe tabel. I have no knock sensor so can only go by ear/feel. I know that around town when I leaned things out it would start hunting slightly on low loads. Mybe just more advance instead.

Maybe I ship my Viva up to Dave's economy shop....

Yeah I dont have any useful knock detection setup currently as I'm still waiting to be able to mount the sensor properly. 

However when cruising knock is easy to hear because the normal engine noise is very low. My engine knocked like crazy with the factory ECU when it had knock sensor problems, so I know what it sounds like. 

I'm not that worried about knock at low load becuase it would take about 10 zillion years to damage your engine.

I'm not that keen on the idea of making the engine run lean, I've just been going for 14.7:1 at cruise so far.

Found this article interesting:

• Like 1