mjrstar

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
So I'm back from my holiday and had a tinker around in the shed yesterday, i am still putting off building the gearbox mount so decided to strip and clean the master cylinder. seals and bore were mint, there was a bunch of sludge in the front portion of the bore, but it all cleaned up pretty nicely..

20130602_114212_zps009a54f6.jpg

Minor problem with the fitment to the booster with the pushrod being too long even when adjusted fully in,  i guess i can cut it down and reshape the ball end. it'd be easier than spacing out the master away from the booster.

20130602_121408_zps55ef7182.jpg

20130602_131759_zps95009667.jpg

Will have to chat with  the champion behind the tig regarding the 100mm thick cooler, I think it should work with nice short piping if the inlet and outlet are moved, or could be run as is with longer pipework. it probably needs to be changed as the 3 inch ends are probably a bit over the top..

20130512_143159_zps068b4a12.jpg

Still on the hunt for tasty suspension keeping an eye out on YAJ etc...

• 2 weeks later...

Interested in your use of Mitsy GTO calipers? I'm looking at fitting a set to my Starion, and noticed they had different size leading and trailing pistons.  It looks like you've got them fitted behind the wheels (closer to the center of the car), so I'm assuming you've swapped the original LHS one to the RHS, and vice versa to get the bleeders up the top. Does that not also swap around the leading and trailing piston locations? Might make the pads wear funny under race conditions?

Yeah the plan is to leave the nipples at the bottom and remove / flip the calipers for bleeding. Not ideal I know but if the braking system is behaving they wont need bleeding too often. Depending on clearance I might even go back to evo 4 twin pots or rx7 4pots so plenty of options for calipers on the rx7 knuckle bolt patter.

I have seen nasty uneven pad wear where the caliper piston lead in is incorrect.

looks like the blatantly borrowed idea for the intercooler pipe swaging tool works a treat..

Tom / Testament suggested hammer use was required although i'm not sure what i should have been using the hammer for so i missed out that step.

20130623_155847_zps250c6d1f.jpg

20130623_160124_zps0293c2f9.jpg

I have been discussing ideas to ensure a more than capable cooling system..

to ensure best cooling capabilty good flow from the back of the head is a must.

Although not sure if machining a new fitting for the back of the block or a pick-a-part frankenstein is a better idea...

4G63RWDCoolingSystem_02-2_zpsf92d20d5.jp

• Like 1

the piping seems to be of a reasonable thickness so should be allright / i gues we'll find out - they were from DSR turbo..

Have considerd drilling extra bleed holes / won't do anything until hub and knuckle has been finalised.

Might even go back to evo IV 2 pot calipers yet..(worst case scenario) 

I have the mx5 thermostat housing which lends itself to plumbing in-line although the main concern is flow rates through the thermostat it might be ok for 120hp of b6 (or 4age) fury but not fully convinced it has the capability to deal with 400hp worth of heat..

I'm thinking late model evo (with welded fittings to fit in-line) or maybe something that can be machined out to take a larger thermostat with big flow capability.

• 3 weeks later...

In regards to thermostat issue. have you thought about an electric water pump setup. They are $495 for the 115LPM pump and controller. Means you can fuck of the thermostat completely as the controller adjusts pump speed vs coolant temp. Then you could just make up the piping you need in the diameter you need/want. 
I reckon they are the best thing ever, especially if running a massive alloy radiator

• Like 2

^^ interesting option, I'm not sure that I am overjoyed at the prospect of an electric water pump (not sure why) 

intercooler mods..

20130712_151922_zpse28ce73e.jpg

20130712_173152_zps43da55bd.jpg

20130714_120123_zpsf56144eb.jpg

cooler and rad mounting sorted, plumbing coming along nicely,

20130714_120111_zpsf5057517.jpg

20130714_120058_zpse2d78616.jpg

need to decide on the turbo inlet and BOV to finish off 

driveshaft completed -  well except for balancing and trial burn-out

20130714_121220_zpscb820bad.jpg

• Like 7

Looks sharp!

We put them electric WPs on heaps of cars at work. We use the Davies craig ones through NZperformance

Just have a google heaps of stuff on them, Im going to roll one on the race car. 

Once you shortened your DS did you just bash it onto the splines or did you glue it too? How would a carbon DS be balanced, glue little balancing weights??