PANELBEATING BASICS

danger

Most epoxy primers have a real good pot life when mixed without checking the stuff I have down stairs its many hours. It also dry’s by temperature/humidity so seal up a mixing pot and bang it in the fridge it will keep overnight.

Tom there are iso free epoxy’s out there these days so a normal respirator should do it, failing that I never use less than my organic mask that is rated for 2k/isocyanate

For how many layers you put down, read the instructions usually it’s just one wet coat some will say let flash for 20min (check the flash time and always be patient wait abit longer) and do 2 coats. You want it to go down smooth in areas where you aren’t doing bodywork you just want to scuff back the epoxy and lay down your 2k/filler primer, that’s the coat you block back to get smooth. In engine bays etc where there are complex shapes you aren’t going to be blocking you can lay down say a single stage satin black straight over the epoxy primer wet (once its flashed, I wait a few hours usually) it comes out fucking primo and skips a stage of sanding

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you spray any 2 pac product that contains iso's without goggles you are doing yourself harm, its easily absorbed by your eyes.

The 6001 is the one to use, I use the ones that have a P100 pre filter joined to a 6001, they are $10 more but are a better filter. The thing with using masks with iso's is they have no smell, so you have no idea when they are fucked, by the time you can smell the paint/thinners you are probably over exposed. The 6001 is rated at something like 20 hours exposure to iso's, but if your ventallation is shit it will be much less as the paint will clog them up quick. Best bet is to use a new set for every big job and keep a set is a sealed bag that you can reuse for small jobs.

Oh you should also wear a hood to cover your ears (actually most of your skin) when using iso's just to be safe. Some people will react even to a tiny exposure

Would spraying outside mean you don't have to be quite so covered up or nah? I think i'd rather use a lesser product and avoid such nasties I think. I assume it's a lesser product otherwise there would be no need to the deadly stuff.

Yea the best paints have the deadly stuff. If we are talking paint to go on bare metal you cant beat epoxy, etch is fine, but you can leave panels sitting around in epoxy for years and they will be completely sealed and rust free. Its just a newer tech

It is technically illegal to spray paints containing iso's in a residential area, but fuck it just be safe. Full face 3M mask is around $160 here and $20 for the cartridges. Hoods are about $3 at my paint store and the same for a plastic hooded suit. Just be safe and change filters

You can happily paint your car with etch, 1k primer and then acrylic lacquer on top and still get good results. But the 2 pac stuff is far superior

I've never had issues with any brand of 1mm disc. Currently using the ones from the toolshed and find them fine. $10 for 10 discs.

Learned yesterday to avoid the powerbuilt 1mm discs, spent ages last night digging pieces of them out of my hands and face.

/I normally get the 10 for $10 at toolshed too, but yesterday they would only do it if I got powerbuilt discs as the local store is trying to get rid of them all, I can see why!

Letter to powerbuilt- vouchers etc?

Could be worth a try, but it states on the discs that it is mandatory to use the safety guard and gloves etc when using them and I wasn't lol

My hand still has some flap disc fragments embedded in it (nicely visible) from a wee accident I had a while ago

Catch your hand on the edge of one?

They can leave some nasty long bits of fiberglass in/through flesh!

Isocyanates are possibly carcinogenic.

Gives you breathing problems/occupational asthma etc at the least. I'm really bad for spraying maskless lately. Have little doubt it'll catch up to me

Fuck everything is out to kill you anyway these days.

But hooded overalls, fullface mask and gloves go a long way

• 2 weeks later...

hey Dane,this is more of a paint than panel question,Spencer can probably help too.ive got an older tin of autothane(i think,i know the brand is dulux),its the actual army green that the nz army used to paint their landys.anyway,i dont know if its 1k or 2k,is there any easy way of telling them apart??it seems to still be in good condition,i think mainly cause the tin seals really well,lol