PANELBEATING BASICS

danger

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok so let's say you have an 80s car with a urethane bumper which has sagged a bit. it's supposed to have flat surfaces that follow the curves of the bonnet and fenders but kinda has starved horse syndrome. just enough to be noticeable. is there a filler flexible enough?

if anyone has tips on tapping out highs in panels with a hammer and dolly id be keen for some tips..

ie: which hammer does what,like wise with the different dollies...

peace

has anyone used the stainless steel shrinking discs?, they look to take highs out really well, you can get them for a nine inch or 5 inch grinder for about 60 bucks ex usa

Yes, yes I have...

UvSrefKxX74

ok so let's say you have an 80s car with a urethane bumper which has sagged a bit. it's supposed to have flat surfaces that follow the curves of the bonnet and fenders but kinda has starved horse syndrome. just enough to be noticeable. is there a filler flexible enough?

You can buy bumper filler, but you probably don't need to, you can do wonders with a heat gun and a dolly, just heating and pushing with the dolly from the inside out then give it a blast with a blow down gun to cool it off, if its a painted bumper I normally just give them a quick run over with a body file to smooth it all out then sand and paint.

Ok, so I've just come across this thread and I haven't read it yet - but I'll start at the beginning to see if my questions have been covered already.

I need to paint the interior of the RX-7 now, and I have no knowledge or experience with painting really. It's completely stripped on the inside, and I want it all to be silver (floor, roof, cage, etc).

What gear do I need?

What type of paint do I need?

I should be able to borrow most of the gear that I think I need, but should I just fork out some $$$ and get someone else to do it since it's just a one off? Plus I want it to be done well, and I'm worried that I'll fuck it up.

We can help here, just was saying I wouldn't go through that paint thread, you will come out with mixed views (it gets more to the point at the end). Back a few pages I gave Tom a blurb about painting his racecar and a similar applies to your interior, read back the last few pages and ask some questions

You can buy bumper filler, but you probably don't need to, you can do wonders with a heat gun and a dolly, just heating and pushing with the dolly from the inside out then give it a blast with a blow down gun to cool it off, if its a painted bumper I normally just give them a quick run over with a body file to smooth it all out then sand and paint.

i put mine in a hot bath for a while and it popped back to original shape quite well,

similarly i had sagging due to a stray mount that had then tweaked the whole bumper with the multiple heat cycles and weight of the end hanging off it.

• 4 weeks later...

I think I'm doing it wrong.

This is the current state of play, all holes filled.

IMG_20120901_072712.jpg

Started sanding the transitions from paint to steel but seems to take forever to get it smooth.

Instead of this sanding, should I be giving a light skim of bog and sanding that? Some bits were gonna get a light bog anyhow, but I didn't think I'd need to bog everywhere I've stripped paint.

OR should I remove all paint?

Sanding sucks.