Willdat?s Volvo 850 T5-ARRRRRRRGH

Willdat?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gah, opened fuel flap to discover that it should have been riding on 205/50-16s, rather than 205/55-16s it came on (means the new tyres I bough are the wrong motherfuckin' size).

That will explain some of the pessimsitc speedo reading, GPS reckons 106km/h when you're doing an indicated 100. Also explains what rxsumo meant when he said the guards were damaged from the wheels being too big... :oops: so the traction control can be turned off you say...

I'm getting good at using the OBD lights, todays check engine light was in regards to it not kicking down when it was supposed to. Assume/Hope it was a one off as it could become a bit like the boy that cried wolf...

The 5 cylinder burble is more than a little addictive, I do like the sound of that video, though no way is this car worth that sort of investment! There's chips on eBay that promise 300 hp/430 Nm of torque for around NZ$140 landed if it lasts more than a week I might look into it!

Only managed 11L/100km nursing it over to Kaiteriteri at around 90km/h. Could be something to do with this error code A2 231 Long term fuel trim, part load as I only managed to get as low as 13L/100km on day one with testing all the combinations of gear/sport economy modes.

It's keeping me entertained, I like that I don't have enough invested to care too much if it goes pop...

I found my old ladies C70 with the 2.4T would regularly return about 11L/100km but it was 5 speed manual. My old mans 5 speed S40 T4 on the other hand was 10 times more fun to drive and got epicly awesome fuel milage. About 32-34 UK MPG whatever that is in metric.

Emailed Eurolux today....turns out they only deal with Saabs now...bugger, perhaps I need to wait for something to actually go wrong rather than assuming the worst! Sooooo silky smooth to drive. I'm thinking that this might justify me looking for a better starting point

Quite the opposite but phwoarrrr that blue one has an awesome patina...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 138110.htm

i really like these cars :D so well engineered and built the qaulity of the chassis, engine and suspension components is excellent once you see one stripped to the bone.

its actually incredible how much of a bargain some of these things are. for such a luxury euro with excellent quality i don't think you can go wrong tbh.

there has got a volvo wrecker here in palmy that would be able to help you out since he races them. guys name is pete but he normally just gets called 'volvo guy' haha PM truenotch if you want his details he knows him better than i do.

That 850R wagon is pretty cool...my brother was looking at it after playing in mine, but he wants something more spendy/lower ks/hopefully less boy juice rubbed on it...the squareness of the 850 wagon gets me a little excited...

there has got a volvo wrecker here in palmy that would be able to help you out since he races them. guys name is pete but he normally just gets called 'volvo guy' haha PM truenotch if you want his details he knows him better than i do.

I find the number of volvo enthusiasts online amazing(perhaps says something about their personalities too...), there is soooo much info it's a bit overwhelming. Most fixes seem to have an illustrated walk through attached.

Priorities

1 Radiator Leak

2 Blown blub warning (only because it should be a quick fix)

3 LH Indicator flashing faster when braking (hopefully sorted with 2)

4 ABS check light sorting

Solder up all fuse box connections and ABS control unit pins usually fixes the flashing light issue
(would be sweet if that could be elaborated on?)

5 SRS check light sorting

6/7 Oil leak

6/7 Rear engine mount

8 Rotate tyres and get 205/50-16s for front

9 Loose headlining stuck back on!

10 PROFIT!

Mine was always telling me the ABS was up the shit, so took the relay and warning light out, fixed.

Ha well, I'm suspicious that the previous owner did the same...plus installed a blown fuse into the ABS control box slot, no warning lights whatsoever...

Thanks heaps for the offer, dash is pretty tidy, not obviously warped at this stage, will almost certainly need to have an eLook through your relays/electrics bin at some stage in the not too distant future! Will wait for Vadis/owners handbook so I can get my head around a few bits n pieces...

Could the ABS light be triggered by the wrong tyre profile giving odd wheel-speed sensor readings compared to RPM?

wheel speed (in terms of wheel rpm, which is the only way the car can measure it) will be the same for any given engine rpm regardless how how big or small the wheel/tyre combo is.