Anglia4's bicycle emporium

anglia4

Cool.

+1 for mig construction.

Furniture tube and exhaust tube work great,

the chain stays wont be very strong the way they are in the picture with small diameter tube?

I'd be tempted to use one piece of large diameter with smaller chain stays at the end in a Y configuration. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, kicker said:

I see quite a few cargo bikes daily now, most look as below. Good idea for a project though as most retail options seem to run close to 10k :shock:

Yeah I priced up one from Alibaba and it wasn't as bad, but it was still going to be a lot of money and wasn't quite going tick all the boxes.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

I've been chipping away at designing this a bit more. A while back I did some fairly rudimentary beam element FEA on it to get an idea of what bars were important and what ones weren't to make sure its reasonably stiff for its weight. Its ended up looking like a bird cage, but its fairly light tube so it won't be overly heavy and it needs the geometric strength since its not brute forcing it with bigger steel sections.

image.png.a3149bb35a5c64d24c54dce99d9e2bf2.png

image.png.793087fb9281cff7e50a0909aa21c098.png

image.png.e4ea2e17dde5ee79784533de748b910f.png

Every time I think "Right, thats enough designing, I can wing it from here" then I spot something that needs checking, and it ends in major changes...

So at the moment I'm busy adding pretty much all the detail I can into the 3D model to set everything I can. I've modelled in the crank clearance, checked the chain lines, and at the moment I'm working on figuring out the dropouts. I had to add some bends into the diagonals at the front to leave room for the chain to run. And it turns out that the rear wheel I've got has an odd drop-out width and isn't symmetrical, so I've had to make the whole thing wider than I planned and will add a spacer to center it.

I also drew up the main accessories I want for it so I could put useful provisions for mounting them. Which also saved me from having to do a few tube bends.

I'm hanging out to start cutting steel. I might also order the battery cells this week, but I need to take some brave pills for a) the cost, b) the idea of welding together 100 lithium cells.

image.png.b7e2c58ec45498feddf404c10e458aa0.png

image.png.7cb30e4068913066bba49abbf0643ac7.png

image.png.bd2c004ea087aba66439ab22d11a56ca.png

• Like 5

I'm not at my computer to grab a screen shot, but I designed the mounts for a rear disc brake setup this morning.

Planning to run cable operated disc brakes front and rear. Cable operated so that they are compatible with the levers that go with the electric motor kit, they have switches in them so when you pull the brake it cuts the motor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, anglia4 said:

I'm not at my computer to grab a screen shot, but I designed the mounts for a rear disc brake setup this morning.

Planning to run cable operated disc brakes front and rear. Cable operated so that they are compatible with the levers that go with the electric motor kit, they have switches in them so when you pull the brake it cuts the motor.

But how will you do big vrod burnouts if you can't hold the front brake at the same time

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, anglia4 said:

Also...

"Dr. Danger" asking about slowing stuff down... what a world we live in.

It's unlike me, but also - have trailered brats around on a feebly braked bike and do not recommend. 

Can cables make equal slows for same lever input compared to hydraulic?  I'd imagine it will weigh a bit without brats and all their crap on the back.