Those Chinese Turbos...

zep

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i've talked to a few tuners(with dyno's) about cheap chinese turbos, and they say they mostly work fine, but the wheels are poor copies of old designs, ie the big ones are truck spec from the 70's

which work fine but aren't the best if you chasing a good dyno plot

i got a mate with a ht18 in a t3 skyline housing for sale, think he wanted $250, was on a 4age, good upto ~200kw

i thought the ht18 had a smaller front end than the rb25det t3 tho???????

what about the tune? should at least slam a wideband on there to check its still safe with a different turbo

I have no experience with chineese turbos, but I did see cockram nissan were selling them a while ago. (I assume they still are) So it must say something for them if a big dealer like tham will sell them, and stand behind them too. (Although they were unable to tell me if they were carbon sealed or not)

Aside from that, I did read an article in some uassie car mag about cheap turbos. It reckoned ones with a 360* thrust what-cha-ma-call-it were worth giving a punt.

If it's only seals then rebuild it yourself, you can get kits for like $80, I bought one from eBay to rebuild the TD06 that I had. As long as the shaft isn't rooted it's pretty easy.

What kind of turbo have you got?

If it's only seals then rebuild it yourself, you can get kits for like $80, I bought one from eBay to rebuild the TD06 that I had. As long as the shaft isn't rooted it's pretty easy.

What kind of turbo have you got?

RB25DET T3. How hard is the rebuild? I'm assuming it's just the seals and if I can get it sorted cheap then that's even better...

I've rebuilt the TD06 and the T3/4 that I'm using, it was pretty easy, there are plenty of guides on the net on how to do it. You definitely want to mark the shaft, wheel and nut if you aren't going to get it balanced again. Then it's just making sure everything is clean and not worn.

There isn't really that much to them once you've got them apart, I've never done an RB turbo but as long as it isn't ball bearing it should be pretty much the same as a normal old T3.

I had one of those chinese turbos on my last car, did 45,000kms on 7psi before we did the seals in it (Smoked for about 5-7,000kms), was never the same after seal replacement. But IMO was great value for all those kms. Made good power with it too, 180wkw with a 1600cc b16a2

That geezer on toyspeed that won superlap in the 7agte levin used one and made some kind of crazy power out of it, while still being super reliable. In saying that, I think he ended up changing to another brand but it was a good sales pitch at the time (I think he was selling them too).

Masterpower = Brazillian

I've got a similiar turbo to what he was running when he won Superlap, same brand etc.

That geezer on toyspeed that won superlap in the 7agte levin used one and made some kind of crazy power out of it, while still being super reliable. In saying that, I think he ended up changing to another brand but it was a good sales pitch at the time (I think he was selling them too).

Masterpower = Brazillian

I've got a similiar turbo to what he was running when he won Superlap, same brand etc.

[0 GRIP]

Has/Had a Masterpower T56 0-Trim Turbo on a 7AFE/20v head and did 337.5kw atw on 26psi

is now under reconstruction after a boost controller fault causing 30psi chernobyl

• 3 years later...

Sorry to dig up this old fred, but just wanting a bit of feedback/opinions about cheap-ish turbos. I'm looking at replacing a Garrett t28 (think it may be past rebuilding) and ideally would like something that bolts straight in, with a bit more grunt. I was thinking something along the lines of:

A scarles: http://www.scarles.co.nz/turbo-scrsr20-380

A masterpower of some sort (unsure if they make a direct replacement?)

Or a Kinugawa: http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/turbochargersr20detsilvias14s15td05h-18gturbo-3-1-1-2-1-1-1-1-2.aspx

I guess the Chinese one have probably come a long way quality/design wise in the last few years, but unsure on quality still. Any advice or info would be great.