Alex's 1968 'oldman special' HB Viva discussion....

yoeddynz

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my new widened steels back from chris web by on Friday. Really amazing neat welds and finish and only cost $250! Plus ho know Don hoff well and they are fully certifiable as I need to get my cert plate changed to suit them.

I'll get them sand blasted and then painter at work will put decent paint on.

I thought your wheels were already widened...have you gone even wider? Isaac is thinking about getting his Probox wheels widened, does anything need to be done to them first?

Yeah- these new ones will be exactly the same. But unlike the old ones these will be certified. To get the old ones certified I needed to get 'em crack tested at $400 and then they might not even pass.

So the old ones shall go on trade me where I'm expecting them to sell pretty easy. Even standard steels are hard to find in the 4" pcd these have.

Guessing your modification to the bike rack... I'm going to suggest you'll remove the section of the bike carrier directly in line with the boot lock, and weld in a bit of 2-3" pipe that you can then get to the boot lock, through? That's what I'd do :)

Yep your correct too Zac. :) But you got in late and didn't win the ginger nuts and tea. :(

Will- I think widened steels just have to have a receipt for them to show they been built by certified/ professionals for a wof and fall within usual wheel size criteria. No cert needed.

However- my car is certed for 6x13 alloys ( which is what i had on it at the time i certed it) and in order to change the plate to suit them I had to show that they were legit with a receipt as above, which I couldn't, or crack testing..which is bloody expensive. So hence getting more.

Cheers for offer Geoff but the problem with driving about between wofs with steels on is that I won't be covered by insurance etc as the cert plate states alloys. Not worth the risk really.

They steels have done me well too. They will go on to serve someone else well soon.

Yeah but it's the first thing that is checked and if my wheels don't match the cert plate then it can get messy very quickly. Basically it's not fully legal right now and even though I'm not exactly mr follow all the rules in life :pirate::rabbit::brilsmurf::geek::cat: this is one area I don't want to risk for the sake of a few hundred bucks. I looked for ages for suitable alloys but they are hard to get in this size and always the wrong style. I just love the look of widened steels :)

• 2 months later...

I love the idea of twin turbo but sadly it moves right back to square one- a not so economical engine. Plus I'm figuring that turbos would muffle the high revving V6 sound I like the idea of.

I would love it if I could switch a button and have it sound like this... ( but without the hispanic rap..)

I think I would rather have the sound track of a nice exhaust anyway. I have, well should have but probably don't, about 170 bhp which is plenty for a runaround. So the 2 litre with 160 would be grand.

Some fella on retro rides has just joined up and posted up his hb wagon. Oh I so pine for a hb wagon.

35b8564ae4ed24e6df36602058d9b19d.jpg

Was thinking a little more about your quest for economy.. rebuilding the v6 with tight tolerances and good OEM parts would probably be one of the best things you could do to get it back to tip top efficiency and making good power. I think that would be the best way to spend a grand or so anyway (hopefully less depending on what the parts set you back). Better than an aftermarket ecu anyway. I gave the engine in my old Chevette a freshen up when it went in and it was so cool having a tight engine in an old car.

Oh I so pine for a hb wagon.

Oh yes, I have had a long standing wanted ad on Trademe and never found one that doesn't need a lot of work. I know of about 3 that are still alive. I can't imagine there are many left in NZ.

Pic reposted because it's just so awesome.

35b8564ae4ed24e6df36602058d9b19d.jpg