KK's Slamiler

KKtrips

Crazy. Someone said you had to get trailers certed if they are under 100mm etc but I guess this is not the case.

Good luck, and John wouldn't WOF it. He can't afford to loose his WOFfin capabilities.

When the trailer is level it is not under 100mm - but cos I ballsed up the gooseneck it sits with antirake and the rear is 80mm and the front is 130mm off the deck - I'm going to redrill the shackles to allow max lift at the rear so the rear should be about 110mm and the front about 135.. If I also chuck in a 30mm lowering block I'll have about 170 at the back AND front..

Did you ask John about the WOF??

That way you can adjust the height a little lower, or even remove them altogether if you want

If I have to have higher lights I plan on having a set of WOF lights which will do exactly that - they will sit in the 2 holes which I already have there (I plan to put tarp poles into these holes) - they can stay there for the WOF and then take em off post WOF..

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never asked John but I just know. He doesn't pass any of our dodge stuff so I imagine you would get the same reply as from the other inspectors.

Doesn't look like you need to do much though man! Keen to build mine but it's actually bloody handy as a full sized trailer ahha.

I might make slot in sides for mine.

they have to be within 'x' mm of the most rearward part. trailers with the furthest lights back being on the guards aren't technically legal :)

the ones down low at the back wont count as marker lights as they're still too low for that.

lights on stalks sounds choice, though.

jsut get some hella 2396 combo lamps for like 410 a pop or something

win

Cheers Seedy - yeah outside the box thinking has repercussions - dam haha

Cams right about the trailer lights and I don't want anything on the guards anyhow - I hate having the reflectors on there but put them on there knowing it was the law..

I have some super ugly Hella box lights which I will mount on stalks if need be.. Dam and here I was thinking I had finished with fabrication on this fuckin thing - gah!!!!!

Trailer Reg does not have a WOF prerequisite like a car - but you legally require a WOF to operate it on the road.. (although I have towed it 15 odd km driving to 2 WOF places and the roadtest and have no Reg OR WOF)

D it tows beautifully I can see the top inch of the mudguards in my back window and the mirrors are very helpful.. it is super light and barely notice it behind the Commy and notice it a tiny amount behind the BX..

Yeah it should work no probs for 4 generic trailers but as mine is particularly different and it will likely make cops inquisitive I really don't want to attract that kind of heat..

I want to be as legit as poss so if I go down I don't drag some poor GC (one of the few that was kind enough to help me out)

Thinking about it more, I'd almost be keen to leave a set of lights on stalks about 500mm off the ground at the back, just to reduce the chances of retards in 4wd or similar high up vehicles (of just retards in general) of driving up and over it due to not seeing it, being so low.

edit: only time I've seen people have trouble with trailers and wofs is at chrismas/holiday time with boats and caravans because cops know a lot of them only get out once a year, meaning they are less likely to bother with a wof.

Thinking about it more, I'd almost be keen to leave a set of lights on stalks about 500mm off the ground at the back, just to reduce the chances of retards in 4wd or similar high up vehicles (of just retards in general) of driving up and over it due to not seeing it, being so low.

edit: only time I've seen people have trouble with trailers and wofs is at chrismas/holiday time with boats and caravans because cops know a lot of them only get out once a year, meaning they are less likely to bother with a wof.

I do feel ya Boerad, but personally I think function over form is a bad idea when the whole idea of the trailer is for form - its certainly not overly functional.. hah

The number of times that this trailer comes out will be MAYBE 6 times a year - Wagnats, OS Nats, Fast Frog Nats, New Year/Xmas break and maybe a couple other random camping trips I suspect.. All of those times will be driving to the event and parking the trailer up so the number of times I do actually end up in an urban enviroment (where there is the highest possibility of collisions) will be negligible.

If it does get taken out its not hard to repair any damage, or if its that bad I'll scrap the steel and get a few bucks.

I guess I could get a couple of Raleigh Chopper flags and mount them on the arse end. I reckon it will look pretty funky but better than 2 chunky taillights hovering half a metre above the trailer..

You also need to remember I have the tailights on the Commy which are substansially higher than the trailer load will be so its not like they won't see me indicating or braking..

p1110489.jpg