Shortening Adjustbles

zep

Are you getting front and rear adjustable suspension?

I'm not sure what the gem suspension setup is but if its macpherson strut front then you could use the BC coilovers and weld the bottom of your strut to that as seen in kpr ae85 buildup.

What is the rear setup? you can also get ae86 bc coilovers that have seperate rear spring/shock if thats how gems roll.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fronts are sweet, not an issue.

The rear is a separate spring/shock situation on a live axle. Can't use coilovers (I doubt) as the mount at the top would not be strong enough to hold the weight of the car.

one of the companys makes proper adjustables that would suit your setup and sell them for ae86, where they have a short (like 2") adjuster that bolts to spring perch and still uses springs that are around the factory size (dia) and then the load is where it should be and you run normall shocks that the bottom bit is threaded and are adjusted to keep springs captive at different heights

pic might make it more clear lol

GDY-14012203.jpg

Same as what sheepers has done to the back of his car.

His blue 1JZ Celica, not the IRS UZ one, just incase anyone was confused by that (probably not).

Live axle rear, 3 link (torque tube, trailing arms) is standard - cant remeber if zep's changed or not

Front is Double A Arms..

The rear is a Hilux diff. It retains the standard rear spring seats etc so thats all the same, only real difference mounting wise is that it has no torque tube, so 4 linked or something similar.

He had burntrubber make it up and he did a nice job of it too. It retains standard shock mounting points also.

This thread is about adjustable dampening shocks though, not ride height so all that stuff doesn't matter a great deal.

A lot of race cars seem to use a mcpherson rear coil over setup because it offers good adjustment and can be done by making slight changes to the turret and welding the cage to these points. Not worth the effort for a road car IMO because you can set it up well enough with the factory configuration.

The front is probably harder to set up well anyway and thats where any handling issues with these cars come from, again IMO.

Can get shorter ones then needed and add length to the arm by bolting on a spacer type deal.

Do you have any details/pictures of these? They sound pretty interesting. Does it space it down from the top?

It's still a 3 link setup and I would prefer to keep it simple (as in buy adjustables for the car and not try to put in coil overs etc).

This is all about captivity and not about ride height, as that is determined by the springs which will remain the same. It's about them not falling out when I do jumps with the car ;)

Can sorta see it here, theres an alloy sleeve threaded over the standard thread with a locknut. The old spax had the sleeves still on them but I cant find for an out of car pic.

P7300224.jpg

So you could get a shock that was too short and make it the length you need.

Heh, BC make heaps of components for Greddy etc apparently. Haven't seen a BC break yet but D2's used to explode all the time.

those things are soo mud .

im sure you cant even get certs with them can you?? , i know of at least 4 people who have been told to get somthing thats not going to explode/ break all the mounts due to springs rate etc

Yeah I understand that. It's the same sorta deal though, just instead of having spring etc there is nothing. Then you fir the alloy sleeve on top and add a bush fitting so it bolts in.

What were the ones worth in the UK that you want?

Like $150NZD each.

those things are soo mud .

im sure you cant even get certs with them can you?? , i know of at least 4 people who have been told to get somthing thats not going to explode/ break all the mounts due to springs rate etc

Yeah guy I know got his car certed with BC's, but got told they're way too stiff and need a much softer spring rate.