Cleaning/Refreshing old engine

WARTYM

had a look at my engine in the suzuki sj410.

it has a f10a engine which is around 970cc 4cyl carby, now the engine has had its valve cover off for at least a year and was parked out side. birds have lived in the engine bay and the head has pretty bad as it has straw in it from the birds.

was wondering what is the best thing to do ? the parts in the head are looking a bit rusty espically the springs.

should i jus take off the head give it a good clean up and lube it up and put it back on or ?

im not sure if engine turns over or not any ideas on how to check if all is fine ?

heres a photo to show what i mean:

dsc00148lz1.jpg

engine was running before it was parked up about 1year ago.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

all SJ410 engines are like this? wtf? 3k for an sj410 engine? sounds like people know about your mahindra and are chucking on crimes-against-classic-vehicles tax.

check out some of the offroading/4wd clubs man. heaps of people ditch these engines for 4age's or other similar engines. quite often go for real cheap. harden the fuck up and do this one properly. dont waste your time with that pile of scrap engine thats in it now.

Yeah I agree with pies unfortunately.

There's no point in trying to get it running probably, but hey, if you're bored and wanna try it, just put a bit of oil in the bores, clean that head up best you can and oil it up and shove some gas in it.

As well as get a dizzy cap and some HT leads, incl. the one from the coil. Seems to be missing a few bits and bobs.

OK, went out to the shed today with a can of WD40 and degreaser, sprayed the head with WD40 tryed turning it over by hand from the crank pully, didnt even move fuck. grabbed the powerbar and a 17mm socket and put it on the the crank pully bolt, and it turns over YAY lol, all the valves and shit are moving nothing is jamed turns over nice and smoothly.

found the distubutor cap in the back along with some leads, took them home and cleaned then.

any ideas on whats next lol ?

at a guess new spark plugs.

put the valve cover back on.

see where those wires hook up to that are around the engine.

connect battery

and try and crank it and see if it gets spark.

What do you want from this engine? Seems so pointless

yea im all keen for doing this shit (we got a rusted cummins 903 at work we are getting to run ) but in MY opinion this is a giant waste of time mate , unless you just want this to literally be somthing you try to explode its useless

OK, went out to the shed today with a can of WD40 and degreaser, sprayed the head with WD40 tryed turning it over by hand from the crank pully, didnt even move fuck. grabbed the powerbar and a 17mm socket and put it on the the crank pully bolt, and it turns over YAY lol, all the valves and shit are moving nothing is jamed turns over nice and smoothly.

Did you squirt anything down the bores?