Cleaning/Refreshing old engine

WARTYM

its called, having a go.

saving money, and learning at the same time

Point is, you'd more likely learn more and save more removing the engine and tearing it down bro. It's only a small, basic engine, take your time and do it right I vote.

Could always slam a motorbike engine in there anyway :mrgreen:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well im gonna try, no harm in trying right ? lol

but if it starts, i call for massive burnouts on my old jeep tyres with my 20's on the front to celebrate hehe.

but in all seriousness it should start, i mean the engine is turning over (was running before) and if it can get spark and fuel it should fire right ?

well i'll see how it goes but keep the info coming guys

well if it was running a 12-6 months ago i doubt the compression would go low :?

an engine sitting for a year with the piston rings in the same spot doesn't do any good for them. Same with the valves - especially with the rocker cover off in that time - valve stems could have a coating of surface rust on them which wont be nice when they go up and down the guides. I would say piston rings and sealing valves would be affecting the compression.

If that fails just go out and buy some a can of compression, should sort it out.

well if it was running a 12-6 months ago i doubt the compression would go low :?

an engine sitting for a year with the piston rings in the same spot doesn't do any good for them. Same with the valves - especially with the rocker cover off in that time - valve stems could have a coating of surface rust on them which wont be nice when they go up and down the guides. I would say piston rings and sealing valves would be affecting the compression.

If that fails just go out and buy some a can of compression, should sort it out.

agreed, these engines are pretty sturdy but i think even if you do get it running its guna destroy itself pretty quick ay, but good on ya for trying

coat the whole thing in penetrating lubricant - CRC 5.56 comes to mind

squirt down the bores and on rocker gear etc - let it sit an hour or so

repeat - wait

repeat - wait

repeat - then

turn the engine over by hand (strongarm bar on the crankshaft pulley) adding P.L. regularly.

once you can turn the engine over 2 full turns without straining - fit fully charged battery - turn over on starter motor and check for compression and spark

get a can of engine start - spray engine start in carb and crank engine - spraying engine start in the carb as it cranks - it should fire..

whats a can of compression ?

Exactly that, you spray it down the plug holes and turn the engine over by hand a few times and it restores your engines compression.

Its a bit of a trade secret really so I think BNT or any other trade supply stores you have in town would be the best places to ask for a can.

Probably a lot easier to just go out and grab some, squirt it down the bores, seal it in by screwing the plugs back in, leave it for a day, or two.

Repeat the process, then on the third day, do it again but squirt some ether in there too, so when it sparks, it really bursts into life. Some in the carb and FUCKING BANG! you're away laughing.

Looks like you'll need to re-attach the exhaust manifold too.

I'd be curious as to why most that stuff has even been removed. To be honest. There must have been a reason...

Are you sure they still sell it?? I tried to get some the other day and the guy reckoned they'd stopped selling it cause all the engine rebuilders were kicking up a MASSIVE stink about it, apparently their work dropped something like 35% after it came on sale ay