Advice for rebuild

lowlancer

yea also other than bags those cheap plastic organiser tray things are mint for bolts.
This is the best thing ever. OrganiZOR

organizor-1.jpg

Hard.

Get one of those paint marker pens so you can write on pulleys, tensioners, anything that you are unsure of, which way they are oriented. Sometimes things that seem stupidly obvious when pulling apart suddenly get really confusing when putting back together. Can see this on some of the parts above.

Also I think an engine stand would be ideal and they can be picked up for cheap on TM or at supercheap etc.

I'm n00b at engine builds but if I was doing one I'd get an engine shop to clean the head up and give it a valve grind and reseat just to ensure everythings sweet. Costs nothing to do, perhaps $200 at the engine shop for a simple OHC.

And a coat of black paint on the block goes along way to make things look lush when its all complete too.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Failing the snaplock bag idea, screw bolts back into the holes they came from a few turns.

I'd also get stuff acid bathed, was only $30 for my block and crank and made them way cleaner than I could have got them with degreaser by myself.

I have stripped a couple of these 4G63 engines and I don't think I could have managed without a rattle gun to get the counter balance shafts out (failing memory so I could be wrong).

I always lay out the motor parts on a bench or plank in the order they came out. Make certain you mark the front of the motor on said plank.

I also always use an inverted shoe box or similar with eight holes in it it keep the valves in order. Dont forget to marke the front of the box with an arrow denoting the front of the engine.

Basic rule (apart from cleanliness on re-assembly) is to ensure that everything goes back into its original location and orientation.

You will need:

1) Rattle Gun - or some way to lock the roating assembly when removing counter shafts and front pulley etc.

2) Socket set

3) Tourque wrench

4) Valve spring compressor

5) Feeler gauges (for pistion ring gap and crank endfloat)

6) Piston ring compressor

7) Piston ring remover

8) Gasket cement

9) Screwdrivers

10) Locktite

11) Engine assembly paste

12) A honing tool (I would recommend outsourcing that job though)

13) Money

14) A shoe box and bags

15) Engine stand and bolts

16) Lots of cleaning agent

17) the workshop manual

18) Other suff I forgot and will not be responsible for

19) Allen keys

Personally I don't believe it is worth doing the valve/head job yourself. Take it to a pro.

Same with the hone and changing counter balance shaft bearings.

Chur.

all good ideas..

I do the 'drop on the floor' approach.

1. spread a large peice of old carpet out under engine stand

2. speed strip the engine

3. drop parts on floor

4. clean

5. re-assemble and play 'find the part on the floor' game