kpr's starlet

ratt

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

been reading your build thread ,1 your inlet will  need bracing ,i can see that breaking again in the near future ,on your pipes try to use slip joints on your merge collector and then use a flexy joint and 1 straight through muffler right at the back

on cams and on the size ,advancing the inlet half a tooth will make cam come in early but also finish early

setting up cams try setting them up using lifter rise at tdc ,then take belt off and rotate inlet to exhaust and with dial indicator on no 4 inlet bucket see if you have 2mm of clearence ,thats the easy way

just leave exhaust where it is

on exhaust theory try 34inches long then use a good merge and then a taper cone out to 3inch

on inlet track measure from back of valve to the tip of ran tube aim for 350 to 380mm long

on cams that i have tried more lift that you can run with a duration from any where arounf from 256to 263 at 50thou

also you need to get the velocity checked no more than max vel  .01074''thou

by inlet do you mean exhaust?   because inlet has never cracked.    don't have room for a flexi, as need all the room to run 3 mufflers to make it quiet. so they take priority. (when it breaks i fix it) as its used on the street just as much as track.   plus have made a point to oversize the internals in my triple pass muffler which are 3.5" equivalent.   doesn't have to be loud to work. plus would rather listen to the intake, than 4age exhaust note. tried megaphone/tapers on old setup, they did nothing, maybe i wasn't doing it right, but i tried at least 3 different setups and at least 3 different size straight collectors, along with short and long merge collectors. at the moment i run a 2.5 inch collector after the extractors (i cant remember the length)  dumping into 3" exhaust.  have tried different extractors over the years also, the ones on there are a good compromise.  so not something im going to bother changing anytime soon.

trumpet lengths are something i might play with,  i think it will be more setup specific rather than this length works though.  need to try different lengths to try smooth out power delivery.  as at the moment i can feel and also see in the fuel map, i have some dips and peaks going on through the power band.

i didn't measure up valve clearances. as i done something similar to what you said with the old setup,  and know from that, if i can advance the cam at least another 10 degrees, have plenty of clearance. 

sorry if i seem like i am taking your advice badly, but short version:  everything is done for a reason, if not im too lazy or its going to happen sometime.

• Like 1

in car maybe next time, need to make something to hold camera.   that new section is sweet.   entry is pretty brutal and it links up nicely with the hairpin. its tighter than i though it would be.  my lines were pretty junk through there. but was starting to get it sorted as day went on. .

a mate timed me, on a couple of laps. recon'd was doing 1:20's through traffic. not sure if thats anygood?! haven't found much to compare it to.

wish they had of fixed those bumps around the sweeper, wow those are huge in a starlet haha

was a choice day! nice surprise to see another 4age kp out there too!

Interesting, they are running semi's too.   didn't seem to have any trouble matching/bettering the blue kp corner speed. which was also runing semi's.   setup must be working?  i was running t1r's  they seemed to be wearing pretty even.   the left rear looks like its taken a bit of a hiding. due to all the rights. but hasn't worn the outside edge like it used to.  should be more in it with a decent alignment, as is still bit messed up as per the sheet.   and maybe knock a few more seconds off with a seasoned race car driver like yourself