Romans COD piece

Nah it's noisy enough without blowing out all of the muffler packing too. :)

When I get a different ECU for it, playing around with launch control stuff will be on the cards for sure.

Although I'm not overly keen on hitting the drags too much as it's a bit hard on the drivetrain compared to other things.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it's the next logical thing to do really.

I dont think I really want to do any other physical mods to the motor.

I'm quite happy that I can get 7l per 100km but also have a fun car to drive.

Going to bigger cams or whatever is probably going to throw the economy out the window.

If this motor blows up then I'll try find a low kms manual Altezza engine with the exhaust side VVTI as well, 10hp for 'free' and should get same or better mileage too.

They're cheap now, but were impossible to find when I first bought the MR2 beams motor (And it was originally meant to go into an MR2, haha)

• Like 1

just save up for a good link dave

Okay so I've been giving ECU choice a bit of thought over the last while.

As there are a still a few niggling issues with using the factory ECU, and then if I went to an aftermarket one I'd want to get something with a lot of extra scope for nerdy datalogging, extra features etc.

So the Megasquirt V3 or whatever with heaps of inputs and outputs looked like a good option.

But before diving into that I downloaded the MS tuning software on my PC, and got familiar with it. Seems all good. But then I upgraded my PC, and I cant get the fecking thing working again.

Also doing a bit more reading it seems about 50/50 odds between getting things running alright with megasquirt, or having a complete nightmare of a time and being out in the cold in terms of any support.

The fact that the tuning software doesnt want to work anymore didnt inspire confidence in the rest of it. I tried reinstalling JRE etc but no luck.

I dont really want to assemble anything myself either, so looked into the cost of a preassembled one... $1600 or so by the time it gets here. Cant remember if that was with or without tax.

So looking at the difference between that and a link, it's not that much more of a stretch to get something that's going to give me so much less of a ball ache.

So decided to bite the bullet and have forked out for a G4+ Xtreme and an LC2 wideband.

I cry when I think about the cost vs potential HP / rpm gain, but it's more that it's something interesting for me to setup and tinker with.

Factory ECU tries to run on stoich at cruising too for sake of Catalytic converter, so will be able to lean it out a bit more and make it a bit more thrifty to drive perhaps too.

It's got so many inputs and outputs, good datalogging etc which will keep my nerdy tendencies satisfied for a long time yet!

Something new for me to learn about in this coming year.

Should be here some time next week. 8)

• Like 2

Factory ECU is pretty awesome for most things, but just cant get around the rev limit.

So yeah, if going aftermarket definitely no reason not to setup launch control etc :D

There's a basemap for the link already for my engine that sets up VVTI, coilpacks and all that other junk.

I havent found anyone who's running MS on a beams motor, so dunno what to do if I get stuck. Vs lots of link installs by heaps of people already.

I dont have the electronic smarts or the patience to spend ages figuring things out with an oscilliscope or whatever.

If I converted my engine to an Altezza loom there's a version of the Link where you can just open up the factory ECU case, replace the guts with a link and then it plugs into factory loom.

Was considering this but it doesnt have as many inputs and outputs as the 'normal' one. So went with that, as the wiring looks easy enough.

• Like 1

Yea, no1 reason for shit not going well is wiring, so make sure you do that well and you will be in the money.

Grab some china braid, a set of weatherpaks/ any good quality automotive connectors, heat shrink, and a quality set of crimpers and you will end up with a super nice looking loom.

• Like 1

My engine loom is staying as is, no need to reinvent the wheel when it's all already there.

I cant remember where from, but you can get an adaptor board that has the plug shapes of the standard ECU.

So I only need to make an adaptor that goes between the link ECU and that adaptor board, then the standard engine loom plugs into that.

Keeps it simple / can revert to factory ECU if need be for whatever reason / wiring loom ends up very short with all connections in the same location which makes troubleshooting anything easy.

There's a bunch of spare pins on the factory ECU plugs too, and I've got an Altezza loom here which has unique wire colours which I can use.

So if I add any other stuff it's mostly a case of pushing already crimped connections into the plugs.

On my car I got hold of an old bung ECU and a electrician buddy stripped the connector off it and made an adaptor loom using that and the Link wiring harness so that it was "plug and play" with the factory engine loom. Then I hooked wideband wiring straight to the Link loom and done. Managed to sqeeze all of that wiring in under the dash so you'd never know. Just had the USB cable running up to the glove box for easy access.

• Like 1

Cool yep, that's pretty much exactly the plan!

But you can buy the same thing from somewhere without having to yank an ECU apart. I just forget where at the moment.

But in my mind it's the best option - Toyota factory wiring is good, plugs are good, etc etc. So may as well keep as much of it as I can.

It means I can design and assemble and test the loom out of the car, as it will only be ~300mm or so long if that, and all just goes between one thing and the other.

Any wiring faults are contained within that area, rather than spread across the whole thing... And I dont have to change a single thing in the engine bay.

• Like 1

Yeah it was the 8 injector drivers that were the main reason to get the Xtreme over the Storm.

That and the extra inputs/outputs mean I can datalog a whole lot more about the car itself, not just the engine.

When thinking about the price difference over the course of a year or two, it's not too much.

But if I bought something that didnt have enough stuff for what I want, I'd probably end up wishing I just spent the extra couple hundred bucks.

I'm sure that reducing the arming voltage will solve your problems, the zero crossing is still in the correct place. So long as you have good wiring (and low noise) then it will work with a very low arming voltage. I have noticed that the voltage produced by VR sensors is quite dependent on temperature also. Lower temps mean lower voltage produced so if you set it near the current minimum just beware that you may need to change it in winter time.

What MAP sensor did you end up using? 

Yeah I was cranking the engine a lot when I was trying to get master fuel sorted, and as battery was slowly getting flatter it seemed harder and harder to start.

It was hard to tell whether I was heading in the right direction with the fuel table because I think the plugs were fouling so I couldnt tell much from the wideband.

After recharging the battery it started a lot easier, and funnily enough the base maps master fuel table worked best lol. But still had that 1700rpm issue.

I used a Toyota 3SFE Map sensor, it calibrated fine by using two known KPA/voltage values then calibrating against the onboard barometer.