• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Bling said:

Knife worked for me.

Lots of knife.

I know the knife well, I was hoping there would be a version of paint stripping type shit that might aid the process. 

The old shit virtually crumbles away but I've done a bit of awkward sealing on the firewall that I would prefer to redo with a better paint job.

5 minutes ago, Bling said:

I would wonder what something strong enough to remove seam sealer might do when it gets into the seam. Small wire wheel an option?

Yea I got all that type of stuff I'm just trying to cheat. I've sealed along a bit I know I can't slice along. Seen a YouTuber heat his panels up but I don't know if I want to chance that arm, could go wrong. Might have to suck it up and redo some of the steel work

If you used modern shit like urethane then there is no magical acid, alkaline or solvent shit that will easily remove it without being insanely strong. It’s a modern material that is meant to be chemically resistant. Mechanical removal is the only route. I have wire wheeled off a whole car of seam sealer where the paint didn’t work with it, it’s character building.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Spencer said:

If you used modern shit like urethane then there is no magical acid, alkaline or solvent shit that will easily remove it without being insanely strong. It’s a modern material that is meant to be chemically resistant. Mechanical removal is the only route. I have wire wheeled off a whole car of seam sealer where the paint didn’t work with it, it’s character building.

Right, I'll suck it up and wire wheel it then. Sikaflex 227 is what I used. Any tips on removing brunox? It's going gummy rather than flaking after paint stripper.

• 5 weeks later...

@Spencer would you mind elaborating a little on the rust converting with acid? I'm cleaning using dioxidine which I believe is phosphoric acid, it is working excellently on surface rust and even whittles back the pitted stuff to a few black spots.

Are the black pits good to coat with epoxy?

Also what is your view on the residue from the acid? Can't find a consistent view on this, some say to clean it all off, others say it is ideal to paint over.

20211203_221011-min.jpg

Yeah as above. The black bits are just treated rust on top with rust underneath. Keep it wet with acid and get out a small wire brush and agitate it then if needed do another app of acid. Always wash with water, then get out the scotch brite and prepsol and clean for paint, you want bright white clean steel every time no residue or bullshit under the paint at all.

• Like 1

On 06/12/2021 at 08:33, Spencer said:

Yeah as above. The black bits are just treated rust on top with rust underneath. Keep it wet with acid and get out a small wire brush and agitate it then if needed do another app of acid. Always wash with water, then get out the scotch brite and prepsol and clean for paint, you want bright white clean steel every time no residue or bullshit under the paint at all.

What is the process with prepsol, do you follow it around with a clean dry rag, or have to rinse it etc