si

For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

13 hours ago, WhangareiKE70 said:

Hmm. Is there any way to know whether or not they’ll be fine without buying them? As far as I am aware, nobody in NZ stocks them. 

I never tell anyone that a part will be certifiable unless it's obviously ok or I've seen it before, 

because I've had someone threaten me with legal action over a part I said looked ok in pictures but when in person it had obvious issues. 

Try asking the guy you are using for cert, he may have seen them before 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NickJ said:

One would hope there is additional reporting behind those images to qualify the results?

I just added the pics for interests sake because it was relevant to the discussion, there was more to it than those pics, I left all the other bits out because that info is the property of someone else 

1 minute ago, 00quattro00 said:

Cut it out, it's part of the body not the chassis

No, you would need to replace any strength removed with something else 

With the seat belt anchors, I removed the seats carpet etc...and under all that are factory original mounting points on the floor. These go through an overlapping seam on a crossmember flange.

Can I just use these? Or do I still need to put in double plates?

20191012_134924.thumb.jpg.4b431274e74d98fd6c08ae0bb66fa09e.jpg

This rubber bung was in the threaded hole. Its behind the seat mounts, but at the very front of the B pillar.

Screenshot_20191012-144353_Drive.thumb.jpg.a0a9a4bf70e16b8afd531dfbf6d1445d.jpg

This section says it's okay...but man is this shit confusing for me. 50 pages on how to mount seatbelts! Surely 2 pages with drawings would explain it far better than 50 pages of words ever would?

• Like 2

Balls! I tried mounting the retractors on the factory holes...looks good, clearances are good, it's in the magic H zone...but they don't work on that angle. Mine are designed to be mounted straight up/down. So I think I'll need to do the double plate method after all.

Edit:

Is this a viable alternative?

20191012_173300.thumb.jpg.1abf19d401d7ff30eb957ecc011457bd.jpg

And imagine there's a double plate, mounted it would look like this - held vertical against a non vertical surface 

20191012_172812.thumb.jpg.bfa0c649f06a54fd686873ac5b302bb1.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cletus said:

I never tell anyone that a part will be certifiable unless it's obviously ok or I've seen it before, 

because I've had someone threaten me with legal action over a part I said looked ok in pictures but when in person it had obvious issues. 

Try asking the guy you are using for cert, he may have seen them before 

That is absolutely understandable. 

He (Shane Speight) hasn’t seen them before, asked me to get more info, so I have emailed the company. Will wait to see what I get. 

If it comes to it I will just shell out for the Superior Engineering ones. Just trying to save money where I can, but not at the expense of safety/doing things twice. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cletus said:

@Kimjon

Would this option work for you?

Screenshot_20191012-202523_Samsung Internet.jpg

I think the sill would prevent this option from being viable. I'll check it out tomorrow...after 15hrs working non stop on my car I'm a bit over it tonight.

20191012_172819.thumb.jpg.557ac2944ffcb8c4a9f005af413e9e7d.jpg

Where that paper with the x on it is the sill, so I cant drill in there as I wouldn't be able to access the other side. If I go any further inwards on the floor to find the flat area I'll likely be too far inwards and foul on the seat. But I'll check for sure tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated tho.

Dunno if still available but you used to be able to get retractable that you could dial an angle into it. This was 20 years ago though

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cletus said:

Could you put the angle bracket on the original anchorage on the floor?

Maybe. It's a good idea, thanks.

What happens when you put a different body on a chassis? I want to put a land rover series 2 body on a discovery chassis, series 2 is dereg and the discovery is still live would also be shortening the discovery chassis

3 hours ago, 00quattro00 said:

What happens when you put a different body on a chassis? I want to put a land rover series 2 body on a discovery chassis, series 2 is dereg and the discovery is still live would also be shortening the discovery chassis

I saw someone who did this, but with ford pickups.  It was cert'ed as a body swap.

/ling

22 hours ago, 00quattro00 said:

As Cletus said, scratchbuilt definition has changed. From what I have understood (and this may have changed with the update, haven't read the full document) the only way to do a chassis swap and still get it certed but not scratchbuilt, is to use the same make/model/series but from a modern version of the vehicle.*

For instance putting a D21 Nissan Navara body on a D40 Nissan Navara chassis. Not sure why you'd do that but was the best example my tired brain could come up with.

*Your results may vary, take with a grain of salt, I may have no idea what I am talking about. 

• Like 1

For an MC class truck am I right in saying you can only have four lights (two auxiliary) on main beam?

It would be nice to have a light bar on the roof for a nice wide spread of light in the bush, but also long distance spots on the bumper.

Does that just mean I can pull the relay for the lightbar at wof time and say I don't use it? 

If the light is there, does it have to work?