si

For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

13 minutes ago, Bling said:

Still cheaper to go elsewhere for a WOF, if you're confident that EFI doesn't need a cert. Just have all the paperwork handy if they question it. Should know better than to support VTNZ lol.

They've always been fair in the past. Plus it is good to see the brake test results as they happen, as opposed to with a standard WoF where the guy just scribbles 86% in a box no matter what.

I'm not confident that EFI doesn't need a cert (and noone in a position to actually provide documentation stating explicitly that it does not need a cert has provided said documentation), hence why I am taking it for the cert - cert guy here says it needs a cert so that's what counts for now. If LVVTA overturns that decision than so be it. I just want to get the WoF in as above board a manner as possible.

If I were to go to a random WoF shop now and get a WoF without a cert and then ended up getting into a crash then I am sure as shit that someone would look into the WoF results system and find that it failed a WoF, with them saying it needed a cert and that I just went to a different WoF place. That would open a whole can of worms that I really don't want to deal with.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Mof said:

@ajg193 Did he have a limp?

Don't recall a limp. One of the inspectors was the old guy with big white hair. He's been there for years. Phil wasn't the inspector, he always goes on about his orange bugeye that he once had and he put a 4K in it and it went super hard.

Yeah man, just threw some adjusties on the car and some turbos (wheels and induction type). May as well get my value out of it.

Guy said he will call me in 3 to 4 hours with the bad news about it failing.

The (friendly) Barry wouldn't let me out the door, I was halfway out and then he started spurting about how new WoF rules are shit and cars should be inspected every six months and how most people don't check their oil daily.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ajg193 said:

The (friendly) Barry wouldn't let me out the door, I was halfway out and then he started spurting about how new WoF rules are shit and cars should be inspected every six months and how most people don't check their oil daily.

Not everyone drives a british car these days

/spam

• Like 3

Ian Smith (cert guy down here) called up about half an hour ago saying that the car may indeed not need a certification and he has contacted the LVVTA and apparently they are going to have some big meeting over the next few days to decide my fate.

Basically I can collect the car for now, and best case scenario it doesn't need a cert, worst case I have to take it back on Thursday.

• Like 3

I suspect you are the only person on earth who has done a efi swap with no other certable mods, so its probably not been as much of an issue before as they probably just whack it on the cert plate anyway.

Not sure if that deserves a handshake or not.

• Haha 1

question, looking to run my air intake on my van partway through the rear "firewall" and into the passenger compartment with a couple of silicone or rubber joiners, would that pass cert or would it have to be a steel pipe etc. having trouble fitting new motor under seat. there would be no joiners touching sharp metal etc just 2 joiners and some 3" stainless pipe. cheers.

probably be fine as long as the pipe goes thru a single skin and its not weakening the rear firewall near where the seat/seatbelt stuff mounts

• Like 1

What a fuck around. Still no WoF, cert guy refuses to cert it as it doesn't need a cert.

VTNZ is now saying I need to prove that the power increase is less than 20% - originally they failed me for saying that the EFI is an item that needs a cert, not because of power increase.

All of the dynos in Christchurch seem to be booked out well beyond the time that is left in the VTNZ recheck.

My last hope to get this WoF from VTNZ is to write up an engineering report with some statistics, figures stating that in my professional engineering view the power increase is less than 20% and a letterhead and take that in.

Failing that I will just demand my money back and park my car in front of the doors at VTNZ, stopping people getting their cars in for a WoF.