For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, zep said:

Ok, sweet. I guess I just don't want to have it all nice and neat only to find that I need to do something major that requires repainting things. With the painted suspension/chassis/etc, you still want to see unpainted pics of welds and stuff right?

If it's just got a coat of black on it, usually ok and don't need to see it in the nude

If it was getting filler or powdercoat then need to see it first 

You can usually see if a weld is OK thru regular paint 

17023592235606727241995171910005.jpg

• Like 4

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/98575/In-service-WoF-and-CoF-VIRM-March-2024-amendment-preview.pdf

This was sent around work today. From March 24 you can new fail a WOF on your licence plates not being up to spec, and that includes the plates not being official (with the correct markings) and even goes as far as to indicate date and letter ranges for the types of plates. So if you had an aftermarket supplier convert your plates that are newer than MX#### to black, they have grounds to fail them since they know they are too modern, and don't have the reflective NZ logo of modern black plates.

It also straight up says that plates have to me aluminium, so a sticker plate now fails a WOF. Plates too dirty, fail. Plates worn or faded, fail.

Gonna be a lot of people caught by this.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, kws said:

See Note 4 (or 5, I can't remember which - I looked at it earlier today), I have a stick on plate on the front of my Prius and I will be using that as an out if I get poked by my WoF inspector.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KKtrips said:

See Note 4 (or 5, I can't remember which - I looked at it earlier today), I have a stick on plate on the front of my Prius and I will be using that as an out if I get poked by my WoF inspector.

Good spotting, but I'd wager that unless you've somehow removed the factory fittings, they'll fail it until you refit it as standard. I guess it depends how much of a dick you wof man is though.

Regarding the black plates, I'm surprised they haven't pulled them yet or done some sort of swap out recall to fix the ones you can't read in the dark. All in the interests of safety, no doubt.

I've always wondered what the story is for vintage cars like mine with a long, pointy tail. Traditionally the number was painted on the tail side. Can't do that now. I can mount the rear plate to one side or the other but the tail means it is only visible from one side. You can't really put it under the tail. Might have to do like they did on Austin 7 Speedy cars where it's on a board sitting on top of the tail (with stop lamps either side)? The front is easy at least, it fits between the front dumb irons.

The Barries at VTNZ didn't specify that AA-DPish use square edged letters and 2.5mm thick plates. Up until something like IA they then used chamfered letters and after that they moved to 2mm thick plates with chamfered letters.

They ain't gonna be able to catch 'em all

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hold up one dirty darned second.

You need to have a WoF to issue a car with plates/register it.

You need to have plates to get a WoF.

image.png.e4bdc53affd5b22a95eb337799eac22e.png

New WoF rules state you can't use a trade plate for WoF

image.png.61ab801a3ef8fb905d671f9a01ebd87a.png

How are they going to work around this inconsistency?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Makes sense as trade plates are not registered to a specific vehicle, they are registered to a business.

At entry/first reg you don't need plates for registration, you need a vin/chassis number and the temp paperwork states a wof inspection has been carried out to allow you to reg and get plates assigned. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RXFORD said:

Makes sense as trade plates are not registered to a specific vehicle, they are registered to a business.

At entry/first reg you don't need plates for registration, you need a vin/chassis number and the temp paperwork states a wof inspection has been carried out to allow you to reg and get plates assigned. 

Who attaches the WOF sticker? More running around I suppose. 
I just bought an un-plated import. It had a WOF and when I arrived we ran it around to VTNZ and had the plates issued.

4 hours ago, Nominal said:

I just bought an un-plated import. It had a WOF and when I arrived we ran it around to VTNZ and had the plates issued.

Same with my Alto, seller ran it through compliance, it got a WOF, and I just took the MR2A to VTNZ and they exchanged money for plates. They didn't even need to see the car.

• Like 2