For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it, not without extra strengthening.

The factory shock mount is whats taking all the load,the two other holes will do very little.

Id bet it would flex the way it is 

That style upper arm cant be certed either 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/04/2023 at 19:04, cletus said:

The reason you can't modify bump stops without cert, is there are many situations where if you trim the bumpstop, something bad could happen. Shocks bottoming out, ball joints binding, etc etc 

The manufacturer sets the bump stop length to prevent these bad things happening 

It is a big problem with coilovers, people do not understand how important bumpstops are

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Put it back to stock and live happily ever after.

You'd potentially find that it can't even be certed as you have modified it anyway as you need to have a working suspension system with acceptable suspension travel to pass cert. 

• Like 1

Increasing steering angle. I get quite fuzzy with the terms thrown around in the standards.

Specifically toyota lower ball joints as pictured below.  

You can get cast items, not cut and welded that increase steering angle.  (And i'd assume quicken up steering?)

Is this something that is legal?    Assuming there were no other issues caused, so rubbing of guards, frame rails or contact with control arms, is there any reason these cant be certified.  

I'm guessing they change ackerman but thats over my head at this point. 

Kazama SPL Knuckle Kit ver2 for JZX Series

@cletus What's the deal with making seat mounts like this? I have Sparco sliders that I'd like to bolt to them. Is welding them with end plates like that ok? I don't need them to be removable, and I'd only be able to put doublers in the trans tunnel, not in the sills. Should be way stronger than the stock mounts that I was going to make an adapter plate for, since they are just spot welded in!

AE86 Toyota Corolla Rally Car Build... - Page 2 - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi  Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

That’s how rallycars have their seat mounts usually.

no cert required when running authority card. 

but street cars would require cert for them.

both ends would require a plate welded to the mounting point. 
have read the requirements in the msnz manual somewhere.

im considering doing this set up in the wrx and do away with the NZKW mounts

I've done a couple mk2s like that, they are authority card cars though. 

Mounting plate has to be a certain size and I think 3mm, rails need to be a minimum of "x" dimensions too. All pretty straight forward 

You also want crush tubes obviously, and the last guy I worked with wanted an example of the tubes I used

10 hours ago, linearentropy said:

Increasing steering angle. I get quite fuzzy with the terms thrown around in the standards.

Specifically toyota lower ball joints as pictured below.  

You can get cast items, not cut and welded that increase steering angle.  (And i'd assume quicken up steering?)

Is this something that is legal?    Assuming there were no other issues caused, so rubbing of guards, frame rails or contact with control arms, is there any reason these cant be certified.  

I'm guessing they change ackerman but thats over my head at this point. 

Kazama SPL Knuckle Kit ver2 for JZX Series

Likely to be a case by case thing that will have to go through Design Approval process. 

Yup that’s it.

they hold up fine in rally cars even after cartwheeling down a bank.

the weld on tabs are good, allows you to move the seat inline with the steering wheel if it’s on the piss from the factory

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shizzl said:

Yup that’s it.

they hold up fine in rally cars even after cartwheeling down a bank.

the weld on tabs are good, allows you to move the seat inline with the steering wheel if it’s on the piss from the factory

Sweet, hopefully Clint comes back with the go ahead for certing purposes.

• Like 1