For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

A question on revin. I am looking to revin a car and it has some bad rust. But it's mainly in the rear end around the taillights. There is also some in the bottom of a door and the sills.

Also at some pint someone has jacked it next to the jack point and dented the chassis not bent or anything just dented. I kind of want to remove these bits and put it new steel but will that require repair cert etc.

Will I need repair certs for the rust work and will I be fine to fix the dents on should I leave them.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been told its illegal to grind out your chassis number and replace it with another chassis number from a different vehicle.

Is this true ? if so why is it illegal.

Very hard to find any definate answers to this but easy to find lots of conflicting answers from the net and talking with LTSA

Seems most people of authority say NO straight away but when questioned further they dont have any hard proof they know what there talking about.

• Like 1

Futher to my questions above. 

Is it legal to grind off your firewall chassis number and have no chassis number ? 

I rang a repair certifier about this and he went silent on the phone for a few seconds and started questioning me why.

In the end i got off the phone to him none the better.

I searched all that years ago and I came up with; if you muck around with a chassis stamp to the point it wont be accepted as a vehicle identifier at wof/cert time, and you have no other acceptable vehicle identifier, then you will have to have a vin assigned/attached. Procedure for that is in govt pdfs that can be searched and found online.

If you muck around with your chassis stamp and you're the only person who knows (ie. come wof/cert time no problem with vehicle identifier) then what's the problem? Your conscience? Lol.

I like this story.

Got a torana before the yellow ute.

Before I collected the car I ran the plates through carjam

Ran plates and got the chassis code.

Ran chassis code through ausie converter and asked a few boffins.

Listed chassis code was for a povo spec 4 door and not for a two door gtr "replica"

Told seller and he basically said WHO CARES THE INNER GUARDS THAT CONTAINED THE CHASSIS NUMBER HAVE BEEN CUT OUT TO FIT EXTRACTORS.

turns out it's agenuine gtr that had been tagged from something else. Was a stonking great deal as long as you can get your conscience round the fact it might have been stolen at some stage. I couldn't!

• Like 1

Futher to my questions above. 

Is it legal to grind off your firewall chassis number and have no chassis number ? 

I rang a repair certifier about this and he went silent on the phone for a few seconds and started questioning me why.

In the end i got off the phone to him none the better.

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/vehicle-identification/vin-and-chassis-number

its not legal to fiddle with the vehicle id in any way.

Probably because if it was legal, then you could get car on the road that is stolen, or doesnt meet a standard that it is supposed to, or is welded together out of 7 different cars, etc etc

• Like 1

I'll get one tonight. Below is from google, left is passenger, right is drivers side presumably -  have been looking for one for 10+ yrs.

Edit; May not be a twin dizzy specific set up - saw a pic of a twin diz cover on ebay with the 4 studs. Dont think its a year of manufacture thing as mine is '73 so not that early or late (rx2 manufactured 71-78 i think). R100 i think was side mounted too.

ysyrkmts.i0s.jpg

would definitely need 2, a mount designed like this and attached with 1 bolt would more than likely fail eventually

Ive been told its illegal to grind out your chassis number and replace it with another chassis number from a different vehicle.

Is this true ? if so why is it illegal.

Very hard to find any definate answers to this but easy to find lots of conflicting answers from the net and talking with LTSA

Seems most people of authority say NO straight away but when questioned further they dont have any hard proof they know what there talking

It's not rocket science man and it's not at all conflicting  But just to answer your questions - even though I'm not sure if you are trolling or genuinely a bit confused.

Yes swapping vehicle identities is 100% illegal.

Why? It's illegal because you don't want the bro down the road to pinch your Subaru with a good motor and take it home, then switch the identity of his Subaru with a fucked motor onto your old Subaru. Because then he could legally own your car by the fact it has a VIN number that matches his ownership papers.

I was on a jury for a court case where a guy bought bank cheques worth $5 and managed to erase the pen on the cheques and write his own amount in there to buy the cars. He then transferred the cars into his name and the cheques bounced some time later. The insurance company would not pay out because he had legally bought the car - even though he had bought it with illegal cheques. It's not the same situation but it proves that a technicality like that is a fuck up. Not allowing jokers to switch identity plates willy nilly is a loophole closer.

For the hard proof... https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/vehicle-identification/vin-and-chassis-number

Mandatory requirements

1. A vehicle first registered or re-registered in New Zealand before 1 April 1994 does not have a VIN or chassis number (Note 1).

2. A vehicle first registered or re-registered in New Zealand from 1 April 1994 does not have a VIN number (Note 1).

3. A VIN number is not valid

4. A VIN or chassis number has been (see Note 1)

a: removed, or

b: erased, or

c: altered, or

d: defaced, or

e: obscured, or

f: destroyed, or

g: obliterated, or

h: affixed unlawfully or by unauthorised persons.

Note 1: The vehicle inspector must notify the Police and the NZTA using the vehicle report form if there is reason to believe that the VIN or chassis number has been tampered with in any way.

edit - beaten by Clint while I fucked around writing my post and eating dinner.

• Like 2

Read the link?

"Refer the vehicle to a VIN issuing agent (VTNZ, VINZ, NZAA). They will inspect the vehicle and seek approval from NZTA to issue or re-issue a VIN plate."

Basically as above, take it all to a repair certifier, both vehicle identities, all the paperwork to prove you own both and go from there. Good luck.

As for R100's phone calls, the repair certifier probably figured you were being a dick.

• Like 3

A question on revin. I am looking to revin a car and it has some bad rust. But it's mainly in the rear end around the taillights. There is also some in the bottom of a door and the sills.

Also at some pint someone has jacked it next to the jack point and dented the chassis not bent or anything just dented. I kind of want to remove these bits and put it new steel but will that require repair cert etc.

Will I need repair certs for the rust work and will I be fine to fix the dents on should I leave them.

Talk to a repair certifier. I had one come round and have a look at my next project, he said its probably not necessary as the repairs are minor, but for the sake of $400 or whatever it costs id rather do it to avoid having to strip it later if the TSDA decides it does need a repair cert later when it goes thru re reg.. kind of an insurance policy against having to re do it later.

every time i get asked about this i remember the poor bloke whos very tidy HQ i certed, who had to spend 13k getting it back to a finished state, after stripping the paint etc so the repair certifier could see how all the rust repairs were done.

• Like 1

Read the link?

"Refer the vehicle to a VIN issuing agent (VTNZ, VINZ, NZAA). They will inspect the vehicle and seek approval from NZTA to issue or re-issue a VIN plate."

Basically as above, take it all to a repair certifier, both vehicle identities, all the paperwork to prove you own both and go from there. Good luck.

As for R100's phone calls, the repair certifier probably figured you were being a dick.

Cheers. 

I wasnt being a dick. I was asking genuine questions. 

It's not rocket science man and it's not at all conflicting  But just to answer your questions - even though I'm not sure if you are trolling or genuinely a bit confused.

Yes swapping vehicle identities is 100% illegal.

Why? It's illegal because you don't want the bro down the road to pinch your Subaru with a good motor and take it home, then switch the identity of his Subaru with a fucked motor onto your old Subaru. Because then he could legally own your car by the fact it has a VIN number that matches his ownership papers.

I was on a jury for a court case where a guy bought bank cheques worth $5 and managed to erase the pen on the cheques and write his own amount in there to buy the cars. He then transferred the cars into his name and the cheques bounced some time later. The insurance company would not pay out because he had legally bought the car - even though he had bought it with illegal cheques. It's not the same situation but it proves that a technicality like that is a fuck up. Not allowing jokers to switch identity plates willy nilly is a loophole closer.

For the hard proof... https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/virms/in-service-wof-and-cof/general/vehicle-identification/vin-and-chassis-number

edit - beaten by Clint while I fucked around writing my post and eating dinner.

The removal of chassis number on a vehicle with no VIN number makes sense.

But my argument is this.

If i want to replace the bumper on my car then i can. I dont need permission nor is it illegal.

Same if i replace a door, or both doors.

If i replace both doors, the bonnet, boot lid, all the running gear and every nut and bolt i do not need permission nor its illegal.

Its allso not illegal if i unstitch every spot weld and remove every screw and replace every part with OEM parts.

So would it be illegal if i unsticted the spot welds holding the panel with the vin chassis number attached and fitted it to another car.

or this,  if its illegal to cut a chassis number out, how big does the cut need to be befor its not deemed illegal. Front cut ?

I will rock down to a VTNZ next week to have a yarn.

Will be interesting to see what i come up with.