For Questions Regarding WOFs/CERTs/NUMBER PLATEs

si

Yea, it probably is just a terrible use of the English language, but as it stands I am right; if they wanted it to read how you are reading it, it should have said:

(a) is of the same or less capacity, and the same or less power output; and

Hence why I used a GX a12 as an example.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, an engine swap displacement increase is cert. (I assume there's tolerance for boring out) Lesser displacement of the same family of engine is allowed so long as it doesn't go over 20% power of the car's original equipment.

(At least that's how I understand it... ...waits to get schooled by Clintus Maximus)

heres how it works in real life, and the rule is intended like this=

you fit a bigger version of the same engine, it needs cert

you modify your original engine to make over 20% more power than stock, it needs cert

you modify your original engine ie bore it out and it makes less  than 20% more power, doesnt need cert

you fit a smaller engine of the same type, doesnt need cert

Don't they record the engine number when they re-vin? If so, I'd guess chances aren't very good.

Obtain 1200 engine, re-vin, swap in 1500 engine, profit??

As they are bolt in there isn't much effort involved, I'd imagine you could probably pick up a a12 cheap and flick it on for basically what you paid for it afterwards?

When I was reading through it all, one part will say one thing then another part will say something that overrides it. Effectively if the engine is not the exact same model that was factory installed in the car, you need a cert. Even if going to a lower powered or smaller engine you still technically need a cert (according to the rules, I dunno if anyone is that pedantic though).

What about converting a leaf sprung rear end to coilovers? Im thinking leave one leaf each side to act as the locator, and then either modifying/reinforcing the original shock mounts to run coilovers, or weld on mounts to the diff.

Doable?

In terms on strengthening shock mountst o suit, is it just a case of making sure its strong enough/looks legit, or will it have to be designed and approved?