Joe's 1976 CB400f

Goat

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the tensioners in and sorted without having to take off head. Yay.

Also managed to undo all the adjustment bolts without them breaking, which is pretty common. Another yay!

Just gotta torque down the head and we're good to go!

• Like 3

Torqued the head down to 20NM. WAT. that is so low... Its what the manual and the internet said though...

Put rockers back on.

Turned engine over by hand. No fouling or anything. Kicked it over a bit. Still no fouling. WIN! It means the cam is either correct, or 180 out. hah.

Next step is to put carbs back on and kick 'er in the guts. Hopefully it bursts into life. Will attempt that tonight.

Also, as i dont have a picture of my progress, her is a pic so this isn't a boring post:

mainvisual.jpg

• Like 3

So yea,

Decided id do oil and filter change too. And though i'd pull the sump off to clean out the sludge.

Its like 3/4 of the sump gasket has been glued to the engine. Sump came off fine. But the gasket is going to be an absoloute cunt to remove from the engine. And as the sump mounts between the frame rails, access is crap.

Some real deal first world problems i have to deal with now....

Need to get a gasket scraper. Which i can't get till the weekend. Spanner in the works... Frustrating.

Pic for thread:

20111007_974770.jpg

• Like 1

depending on the gasket, if you hit the side of it, it splits it off from the casing, and if its in a place that you cant get to the side of it, you can use the ball part of a ball pein in the center of it to break it away from the alloy.

hard to explain and you need to be careful

• Like 1

Got gasket off last night. Degreased and cleaned sump.

It's all ready to bolt back up.

Didn't want to use the old bolts as they looked gross.

Thankyou Coastal Fastenings:

yjh3h1nq.fcu.jpg

Tonight will hopefully go something like this:

• Bolt up sump with new gasket.
  • Fill with oil and crank over with no plugs and no oil filter until clean oil chooches from oil filter holes. I want to get all the old oil out of the system.
  • Fit new filter.
  • Fit exhaust.
  • Fit ignition.
  • Fit carbs.
  • Start it up.
  • Like 4

^I actually did all of the above.

It runs.

And without the blow back through number 4. Yay!

Next problem to tackle.

The carbs on it have been fully stripped, cleaned, new gaskets, jets and needle. Back to factory jetting.

The engine runs like a triumph tc. Super sluggish and unresponsive. haha (It was like this before i pulled it down and put it back together, so its nothing to do with cam timing etc)

The old carbs that were on it were phucked. They had holes, no gaskets and leaked petrol like they didn't have the drain bungs in them. They were also running super duper rich. (You could see the carbon in the head caused by these carbs). However, with this POS carbs on it, the engine was super lively and super responsive. It ran like you'd expect a 11k redline 4 cyl to run.

What could cause these rebuilt carbs to make the motor feel dead and super flat? Too lean? I don't know how carbs effect stz...