Runamuck's Datsun 620 discussion thread.

620s must be amongst the most water soluble vehicles ever made, my Dad owned one before I was born, was on its third set of guards (now in fibreglass) by 1984 when replaced with a new ( and heavily rust proofed) 720. I admire your perseverance.

• Like 2

You are one million percent correct. A mate has a pair literally returning to the earth at Maheno. (20 mins south of Oamaru) they are rust fucked beyond human comprehension. The bottom of the A pillar was disolved, to the extent that when you opened the door, you could see the chassis outrigger where the cab mounts to the floor. 

I robbed some bits off it when i picked up that 1200wagon recently, and the chassis rails have now collasped too. As this truck spent most of its life in Alexandra (which is as dry  as a fuck without foreplay) its not suffered the cancerous attrition which 99% of 620s were afflicted with.

• Like 3

My Dad had a new one of these as a “company” vehicle in 1979 in Swaziland. Bench seat and column change IIRC. It was an enormous improvement over the Marina van it replaced which, at the grand old age of 5, was already largely defeated by Africa.

The 620 though was ridiculously easy to get stuck when unladen. On one memorable occasion, 11 year old me had to get out and push after he’d pulled half off the tarred road to avoid a lorry and the left hand wheel just spun uselessly on the gravel shoulder.

A colleague borrowed it one day and hit a cow with it, dead centre.  Colleague considerably messed up (wear your seat belt!), truck also considerably messed up. Cow allegedly fine.  Dad back in the Marina van for 6 months while the 620 was “fixed”. It never was the same again though. Africa wins again.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, RUNAMUCK said:

not suffered the cancerous attrition which 99% of 620s were afflicted with.

Often compounded by the fact that many of them would have been work utes therefore regularly overloaded and thrashed mercilessly by all who drove them.