Roman's 4GR V6 Carina discussion thread

Roman

2 hours ago, AllTorque said:

Can you wangle in an oil cooler for bonus capacity?

Keep up the good work.

Yeah there's a few options to do this. But not planning on it. I hate having external lines running everywhere. 
It's got it's absolutey colossal whale sized block to help dissipate oil heat. 

And yes a dry sump would be great, someone gimme 5 grand of whatever it costs and I'll do it. haha.

• Like 1

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah we cover the vac bed to increase the suction and sometimes use tape to help seal up any gaps.  Its more OCD and being overcautious than any real risk of even small parts moving on the bed - old habits really (ask me why). Masking tape doesn't seal completely, but its easy to apply and more importantly clean up compared to other tapes, plus we have seriously kick ass vac pumps so there is usually zero risk of anything moving on the bed. Plus the bed is broken into various size sections with valves to suit standard sheet sizing - the vac gauge was almost pegged off the dial. #cncbarry

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

It was so cool to watch and be involved in it, even if I was only in charge of manning the broom and patting the dog. 
Definitely learned a lot, as well as it just being exciting to watch the final part taking shape from the big piece initially.
On the weekend I got the welds flattened off, tapped all of the holes, and did an absolutely horrendous job of welding the oil pickup.
But it's nearly all ready to put it all in place and goo it up for good.

I've only noticed one small thing I wish I did differently.
The area that the dipstick hole pokes through is only very thin. (3mm I think) I should have left that thicker so it could support the bottom of the tube.
I guess I should have spent some time sorting out the dipstick at the 3d printing phase.
However that's easy enough to work around. On the whole I'm super happy that it's all worked out so well.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, flyingbrick said:

one of those pressurized oil canister things would be perfect for this if there was ever a problem.

that machining is beautiful!!! I wondered what taht yellow tape was for when you sent me the pics- I see now it was to ensure max vacuum. Soooo coooooool.

Accusump, I do wonder how effective these things are, I'd say a typical engine oil pump might be doing 60 litres a minute.. say there is 5 litres of oil total capacity, and a litre of this is off doing things like sticking to the walls of the drain back and hanging out under the cam covers etc..whilst the engine is running. (Probably more) 

We then assume that this "surge"( oil moving away from the oil pick-up or not returning to the pick up point in sufficient quantities that subject the pump to a condition where it can draw air).. 

Typically these accumulators look to be about 2 litres or thereabouts, so it's safe to assume that there is something like 2-4 seconds of stored oil pressure in there?  is that enough to make a real world difference when full throttle max rpm on the exit of the final corner at Hampton Downs?

I dunno maybe it is or maybe these things are just shiny additions people bolt into their car?

PS the sump and the sump making process is indeed pretty cool, and makes my modified sump in the mx5 look very caveman in comparison..

• Like 3

Yeah another thing is that the accusump then needs to fill itself back up after its pushed all the oil back into the pump.

So I guess its more like it takes an oil pressure loss peak and dampens it down / spreads it out to less pressure drop over a longer time period. 

But on long sweepers it aint gonna do shit, unless its only the initial tip-in on corner entry that is causing starvation.

Yeah I think they're more about mitigating transient losses in oil pressure. Like little flutters of starvation that might not be an issue at 1500rpm but would cause havoc at 7000.

I suppose it's a (comparatively) cheap bit of insurance if your race engine cost 10k to build...

• Like 2

Iirc they were/are often used in race engines that have terrible pressure buildup on startup. Some folks used them on the vauxhall slant 4 twins which have the oil pump mounted high and always took a while to build pressure (so terrible that I've seen photos of race mechanics having removed the top mounted dizzy which shares the drive and priming the oil system with a adaptor on a drill, then refitting dizzy quickly and starting the engine. 

• Like 1

Interesting to see the weight of the powertrain. So maybe 184kg for the engine and 'box as-is, ~3kg apiece for inlet and exhaust manifolds (give or take), 10kg flywheel(?), 4kg starter (if it's one of the gear reduction types) and maybe 7kg for the clutch. So 211kg or so all-in. Not bad going!

For reference my 2.5l Triumph OHC and OD gearbox was 269.5kg, and my AJ6 4.0l and 5-speed was a whopping 324.6! :blink: both with PS pumps, and the Jag with aircon.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, BiTurbo228 said:

Interesting to see the weight of the powertrain. So maybe 184kg for the engine and 'box as-is, ~3kg apiece for inlet and exhaust manifolds (give or take), 10kg flywheel(?), 4kg starter (if it's one of the gear reduction types) and maybe 7kg for the clutch. So 211kg or so all-in. Not bad going!

For reference my 2.5l Triumph OHC and OD gearbox was 269.5kg, and my AJ6 4.0l and 5-speed was a whopping 324.6! :blink: both with PS pumps, and the Jag with aircon.

Yeah im starting to see a clearer picture about how people notice the handling difference with engine weight. In a small car at least.

Although its funny that some car reviews etc love to mentally associate capacity with weight. "Oh this car is a nose heavy pig with the big engine"

When the more modern bigger capacity engine weighs less than an old small one they loved. Ha.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Roman said:

Although its funny that some car reviews etc love to mentally associate capacity with weight. "Oh this car is a nose heavy pig with the big engine"

When the more modern bigger capacity engine weighs less than an old small one they loved. Ha.

People keep asking me what my corolla is going to be like with the "big heavy v8" up front. I have to keep explaining that it's actually lighter than the diesel it came with

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Certainly not apples with apples, but when you look at the lengths some of the teams in the Aussie sport series of the 70s went to... Chargers and the like, with the firewall cut away and the right-hand bank's rocker cover nestled somewhere left and below the driver's elbow.

The wife's Fabia was a horrific thing by the numbers - A small hatch with close to 680kg over the driver's side front wheel - That's more than any V8 Falcon.

• Like 2