Jump to content

Tomble's 1983 Starion GSR-X fumbling / hand-holding / discussion


tomble
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, piazzanoob said:

i also guess that the budget on this vehicle is limited just by going on the posts. as have seen people often get there fuel tanks reco'd but can be spendy. but often radiator shops can do this service. which i suspect the tank gets electroplated  

also now that you found media blasting. often getting a small blasting booth is handy for car resto stuff and would be a good investment. 

also yeah get proper efi rated fuel pressure hose. because being efi the system runs at a higher pressure. where a car with a carb might only run at 5-15 psi. and any hose clamp is better than none. 

Thank you so much for your kind words <3

I poked a few radiator places, only one replied and said they just clean them - the price seemed to imply no protective coatings of any kind.  One resto place quoted over 1.1k and while I'm ok with spending some money there's definitely a cutoff point, especially when I feel like I could get it to a good place myself (makes the resto feel more personal too!)

I'd love to get a blasting cabinet - might need to enlarge my garage first but it'll happen :)

I've had mixed results with the fuel hoses, been to a few local places and they don't have some or all of the appropriate hoses.    In particular the large pickup hose to the pump is a formed hose with a huge diameter which baffled the guys I spoke to.  Interestingly one place did sell me the same clamps I've been using, though that is for the return hose.  I'll keep my hunt going.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tanks can't be electroplated inside very easily as the process doesn't really work without a direct flow between the anode (which would have to be inside the tank) and cathode (the tank itself).

When I let my fabricated tank get rusty I had to cut the top off again to get it plated and even then the coverage wasn't great inside the tank (inside corners didn't get much zinc).

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

It's a pity the starion engine bay is such a rat's nest. I wonder if the intent at the time was to show off how amazingly high tech and complicated the car was. I'm sure looking at mine and wondering what could go, or at least get tucked away 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, gibbon said:

It's a pity the starion engine bay is such a rat's nest. I wonder if the intent at the time was to show off how amazingly high tech and complicated the car was. I'm sure looking at mine and wondering what could go, or at least get tucked away 

Yes! Especially if top trim - there's a bunch of extras like speed control that just add to the complexity.  So many vacuum tubes.

I think the worst thing is that it becomes even more of a rats nest as people hack it over the years....

Come reassembly I'm keen on seeing if anything can be improved in that space. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

By the time you've done all the hanging panels, the body of the car will be nothing.. Plus you'll have mastered paint application by then too..  It doesn't take that long and you then don't constantly have left over media appearing while you're painting. Keep it up. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

using the forum to host multiple pictures isn't the best idea.

I, and I'm sure many others, cant see any pictures in your thread because they take way to long to load.

some people might wait for them to load but it takes ages.

just letting you know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sheepers said:

using the forum to host multiple pictures isn't the best idea.

I, and I'm sure many others, cant see any pictures in your thread because they take way to long to load.

some people might wait for them to load but it takes ages.

just letting you know. 

You need to get your vaccine.... 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just caught up on your entire thread this morning, well done! Really great updates. Photos also all loaded fine for me, maybe split up longer posts in the future to spread across more pages. 

Excited to see where you get to next with painting/prepping! That’s about where I’m up to with some of my projects. Also more cat pics pls. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You could just about read the geological epochs in all those layers of bog on the front panel lol.. is there actually anything wrong with it, or just layers on layers? I have a couple of spares if you need one 

It's fantastic to go back to bare metal, often time you'll strip back a pretty good looking panel only to find snakies of rust lurking underneath 

I'm not a professional painter (HA HA HA LIKE, AT ALL) but I'd imagine they'd prefer to have the car in bits than all together. It just makes for a more complete looking job. I don't think they'd be particularly interested in needing all the trim etc either 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, gibbon said:

You could just about read the geological epochs in all those layers of bog on the front panel lol.. is there actually anything wrong with it, or just layers on layers? I have a couple of spares if you need one 

It's fantastic to go back to bare metal, often time you'll strip back a pretty good looking panel only to find snakies of rust lurking underneath 

I'm not a professional painter (HA HA HA LIKE, AT ALL) but I'd imagine they'd prefer to have the car in bits than all together. It just makes for a more complete looking job. I don't think they'd be particularly interested in needing all the trim etc either 

The panel seems okay besides the bog, clearly it's been beaten around a lot but no visible rust.  I genuinely don't know why they just built it up like that.  Starions haven't been worth much in the past, maybe it was the most economical way to fix an impact?

With the painters, I guess it's not hard to just ask them, haha. Just intimidated I suppose

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, sheepers said:

using the forum to host multiple pictures isn't the best idea.

I, and I'm sure many others, cant see any pictures in your thread because they take way to long to load.

some people might wait for them to load but it takes ages.

just letting you know. 

Thanks for the feedback. I hosted them all remotely on imgur.com as I've had issues with the forum hosted ones.  But I guess they might be quite large.  I'll resize future pics.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

with photos i just resize all mine to 100kb and under. i then don't appear to have any issues. and post them straight on here.

with the stripping thing your going well. its a time consuming job but its got to be done. 

with media blasting prep and strip any flat parts of the body yourself. like roof and quarters saves you money and flat panels will get warped easy getting media blasted. happens alot more than you think.

then just prime the bare bits yourself. blasters or painters or yourself can prime the rest of the body. also any oil or grease needs to be cleaned off prior to blasting will spread and cause the paint to not stick.

also some cheap panel hammers and dolly's are useful for shaping metal   

also i would leave much of the trim at home. panel and paint guys shouldn't need it unless they are fitting it. but wait until they do need it otherwise can end up lost or damaged. 

And more you do yourself saves you money and will give you much more satisfaction  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, piazzanoob said:

with photos i just resize all mine to 100kb and under. i then don't appear to have any issues. and post them straight on here.

with the stripping thing your going well. its a time consuming job but its got to be done. 

with media blasting prep and strip any flat parts of the body yourself. like roof and quarters saves you money and flat panels will get warped easy getting media blasted. happens alot more than you think.

then just prime the bare bits yourself. blasters or painters or yourself can prime the rest of the body. also any oil or grease needs to be cleaned off prior to blasting will spread and cause the paint to not stick.

also some cheap panel hammers and dolly's are useful for shaping metal   

also i would leave much of the trim at home. panel and paint guys shouldn't need it unless they are fitting it. but wait until they do need it otherwise can end up lost or damaged. 

And more you do yourself saves you money and will give you much more satisfaction  

Thank you! Excellent advice, I didn't even think of doing the easy panels but that's a great idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • tomble changed the title to Tomble's 1983 Starion GSR-X fumbling / hand-holding / discussion

Dry ice is SO COOL. 

Fun side story: I ordered the first box of dry ice last week, it took a while to arrive and after 3 nights I called Mainfreight and they were like "yeah nah that'll be an empty box"

Second box came with maybe 5 kg of dry ice left in it. Which was just enough to do the Starion. I guess if you want dry ice shipped from out of town, I'd recommend just going on a roadie to pick it up yourself.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, cold_snoot said:

Dry ice is SO COOL. 

Fun side story: I ordered the first box of dry ice last week, it took a while to arrive and after 3 nights I called Mainfreight and they were like "yeah nah that'll be an empty box"

Second box came with maybe 5 kg of dry ice left in it. Which was just enough to do the Starion. I guess if you want dry ice shipped from out of town, I'd recommend just going on a roadie to pick it up yourself.

(@cold_snootis my other half)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cold_snoot said:

Dry ice is SO COOL. 

Fun side story: I ordered the first box of dry ice last week, it took a while to arrive and after 3 nights I called Mainfreight and they were like "yeah nah that'll be an empty box"

Second box came with maybe 5 kg of dry ice left in it. Which was just enough to do the Starion. I guess if you want dry ice shipped from out of town, I'd recommend just going on a roadie to pick it up yourself.

I would highly recommend not getting it shipped unless its in a freezer truck :s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

woah wasn't expecting it to be stripped this far but good work!

Im glad you had a great experience getting the sound deadening off as i did it just with a sharp chisel. mine was time consuming and sucked. 

also definitely try and clean the car prior to blasting some good degreaser and a water blaster would be the go. 

also providing the car doesn't have any rust in major structural areas. and wont need any metal work in those areas before the car gets sent for blasting spray all in the cavities of the shell with a product called brunox. you can buy it in a spray can or 1 litre container. which you can also thin out if need be. will prevent the vehicle rusting from inside out 

https://www.pacer.co.nz/product-group/1562-brunox-epoxy-rust-killer/category/301-brunox

And buy a underseal gun to spray it through all the holes through the chassis rails sills and pillars like something like these. but you will need a hose with a nozzle to get all in there 

 https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/sca-sca-body-deadener-spray-gun/576116.html

 http://www.prolan.co.nz/product_details/d/1/c/57/p/80 i got one of these but somehow paid a whole less than just looking online and it came with the hose too as its normally and extra item. but this may have been an error from the panel supplies i got it from.

because doing this after it being blasted is likely to glue all the sandblasting garnet in there. as it gets literally everywhere which could cause more rust if moisture gets in. then after the car has been painted spray some cavity wax in the same places prior to full reassembly.   

also what's your plan now for moving the shell now there is no drivetrain? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...