kyteler

Slideways' Purvis

Recommended Posts

Just now, cletus said:

K series would be cool, but it might change your direction a bit, via snowball effect

Ie I'd be surprised if a vw transaxle would survive long behind an engine that revs 2x as much and has 5x as much power

Dunno what brakes it has but I assume vw? Probably not good enough for power increase

Same with suspension,  might be ok for 80hp kent, but the potential the k series has, may mean the car is not enjoyable if it tries to kill you at every corner 

 

this is exactly the reason im never swapping out the 18rg in my lotus 7 (other than it being my favorite engine)

people put 300hp turbo monsters in them, but are the viva / torana brakes and suspension and the whole chassis gonna be cool with that? nah. 

modern engine wouldn't sound like im flying a warbird either. the car suits the lower powered old powerplant so much more than a 3sge or sr20 ever would. 

 

the escort motor with a nice cam, that weber carb and some nice headers will sound amazing. just google escort rally cars and copy them

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be very interested to follow the re-rego process on this if you did leave it "standard". In theory it shouldn't need a cert if it hasn't been modified from original, but as you say, whos to tell what it should be? It'd be very interesting to see how the inspector treats it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Spencer said:

How much are they in NZ? we have millions of CL9's here. They often pop up on the euro FB page for $4-500, probably $800-1000 from a wreckers. CL9 is a cheap P-plater car here now so lots of them getting stacked. A early base spec whole car with highish km can be had for 2-3k. Probably hold more value in NZ as seen as brand new still compared to the fleet.

$3k according to trademe, has an LSD gbox though I guess.

There are a few K20A's for $700 but they are the low power ones.

I guess the price difference is just a population numbers thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cletus said:

K series would be cool, but it might change your direction a bit, via snowball effect

Ie I'd be surprised if a vw transaxle would survive long behind an engine that revs 2x as much and has 5x as much power

Dunno what brakes it has but I assume vw? Probably not good enough for power increase

Same with suspension,  might be ok for 80hp kent, but the potential the k series has, may mean the car is not enjoyable if it tries to kill you at every corner 

 

Yeah snow ball is a problem I want to avoid with this one, I'd mostly just like to get it back on the road as a fun kit car rather than a serious performer. The body and interior are going to be enough work themselves without a conversion.

Brakes wise solid disc front and drum rear (VW beetle floor pan, suspension and transaxle).

80hp? WTF...Its a 1600 sport, its at least 85.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I paid $3500 for a reasonably tidy nz new 2007 cl9 accord with 190 ks in it a couple of years ago. Not a bad car actually. I'm sure a dereg rear or side damage car has to be less than a grand? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BlownCorona said:

this is exactly the reason im never swapping out the 18rg in my lotus 7 (other than it being my favorite engine)

people put 300hp turbo monsters in them, but are the viva / torana brakes and suspension and the whole chassis gonna be cool with that? nah. 

modern engine wouldn't sound like im flying a warbird either. the car suits the lower powered old powerplant so much more than a 3sge or sr20 ever would. 

 

the escort motor with a nice cam, that weber carb and some nice headers will sound amazing. just google escort rally cars and copy them

There is definitely something to be said for carb noises, tempted to put some bike carbs on it. DCOE's are so damn expensive, guess I'll see how the single DCOE 42 performs. 

I have been wondering if it might already have a cam in it, based on the other cool bits it has. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Convert to efi would be high on my agenda after getting it legal, use a speeduino etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bugger.. I just threw out a 1.8 and a 2.0 k series v6 engines. Kept a few bits and wished the rest in. 

The k8 are a sweet wee motor. Strong understressed 140 bhp and high rev limit with a fantastic sound track. 

The complete manual car (eunos 500) id bought was $200. Even had a brand new clutch fitted. Pretty much a standalone ecu as well so am easy swap if you use the engine as it comes from the mazda. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good job getting it going, nice to see the compression come up again. Should be good to go!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mo999 said:

Good job getting it going, nice to see the compression come up again. Should be good to go!

Cheers, it sounds pretty healthy too. Really happy with the results so far.

The idle is a little rough, I wonder if it has a cam or if its just a bad idle?

Oh and I confirmed that the clutch works too, Just a little nudge since the front brake is seized and I have to climb through the side window. 

I'll need to get that snapped fitting out and then get some water into it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the fitting made of? Can you get some weld onto it? That should loosen it up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy a new water pump chances are it's stuffed, it's only a couple of bolts to get off/on.

Good work getting it going, now take it for a drive!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Adoom said:

What's the fitting made of? Can you get some weld onto it? That should loosen it up.  

Brass I'd guess, based on the green-ness of the powder. 

I'm going to try fit a hacksaw blade in there  to cut it into two pieces and hopefully not damage the thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Valiant said:

Buy a new water pump chances are it's stuffed, it's only a couple of bolts to get off/on.

Good work getting it going, now take it for a drive!

Good idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that sounds sweet. 

exactly what the body suggests it should sound like. imagine that ripping through some hills on song, raspy tarmac rally sound track and all. 

if you now plan on keeping this engine i recommend running a flush or two though it. when i brought my chevron back to life, i ran around in it a bit, and a couple heat cycles loosend up all the crud and blocked up the radiator. it needed a new one anyway but was still annoying. on the recommendation from a radiator shop i flushed it out good and now run some PhilmOff NoFLush which has been an awesome product. stays in the coolant and keeps dissolving the rusty stuff into water soluble inert shit.

Philm Off - The No Flush Cleaner | Cooling System | Muirs Radiators

 

damn good job! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shit yeah, that sounds so rad. Well done! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So sweet it runs, good motivation booster I hope!

I wouldn't get too hung up on the idle just yet, side draft + points? never really go together nicely, the way it jumps off idle suggests nothing major is annoying it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That sounds really sharp and responsive! Well done on sticking to it. I just replaced the water pump on my escort, was about $ 70 for a new one delivered, but it didnt come with a new fitting, I had to salvage the old.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So stoked for ya. Gonna be fun! Now get it on the road and some petrol while it's cheap! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.