Welder buying spam

kws

41 minutes ago, ajg193 said:

What's the go with coregas these days? Looks like the swap bottles are out of stock everywhere.

Can I just take my coregas bottle to BOC and get it refilled?

No, boc won't touch them.

Strange that a big place like CHCH doesn't have any in stock anywhere while there's 4 places here in Gisborne with them ready to go including 2 places with the E size cylinders.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 13/10/2022 at 15:39, ajg193 said:

What's the go with coregas these days? Looks like the swap bottles are out of stock everywhere.

Can I just take my coregas bottle to BOC and get it refilled?

They aren't updating stock on the Bunnings website from what I can tell. Give them a call and ask, I got some argon from my local the other day and the one on the other side of town had mig gas.

1 hour ago, Guypie said:

They aren't updating stock on the Bunnings website from what I can tell. Give them a call and ask, I got some argon from my local the other day and the one on the other side of town had mig gas.

only gonna get worse without having a functioning refinery here.
unsure about argon, but NZ's  CO2 supply came form there, but medical and industrial

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...

Well shit. My expensive $800 Optrel panoramaxx 2.5 helmet I bought in 2019 doesn't charge anymore. The battery is supposed to "never need replacing", so is not user accessible. The helmet still works while the charging cable is plugged in, but totally dead when unplugged.

I've optimistically emailed the supplier in the hope that it's a known fault and covered by some warranty. I really can't justify buying a new one every three years. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Adoom said:

Well shit. My expensive $800 Optrel panoramaxx 2.5 helmet I bought in 2019 doesn't charge anymore. The battery is supposed to "never need replacing", so is not user accessible. The helmet still works while the charging cable is plugged in, but totally dead when unplugged.

I've optimistically emailed the supplier in the hope that it's a known fault and covered by some warranty. I really can't justify buying a new one every three years. 

Man i'd be CGA on that shit. You paid a premium for top of the line, it should be expected to last longer than 3 years. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Bling said:

Worst case you could make up a battery pack that plugs into the charging socket?

Maybe, there could be clearance issues between the usb charging plug and forehead. I've googled replacing the battery, but all I found was for an older model that is not even remotely similar to mine.

Deifinitely chase up the supplier first.

I had the same thing with my solar charged helmet, non replacable batteries stopped holding a charge after 8 years. I pryed it open and removed the batteries, which were soldered in, and added some leads going to a couple button cell holders then glued it all shut again.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jusepy82 said:

Hey guys , 

How much stick out do you have when you are mig welding ?

Maybe half the diameter of the nozzle I guess. But it varies a a little depending on what you are welding. On thin <1mm stuff I like to get as close as possible while still being able to see what I am doing. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, kws said:

Man i'd be CGA on that shit. You paid a premium for top of the line, it should be expected to last longer than 3 years. 

Supplier has said it's technically out of warranty, but told me to send it in and they will take it up with Optrel to see what can be done.

28 minutes ago, Nominal said:

Yeah, the cga overrides their technical warranty. Do you have a backup helmet?

Yep, been using my old auto darkening helmet. It works fine, but the work area needs to be well lit because the base tint of the lens is fairly dark.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Adoom said:

Damn that was my dream helmet, came very close to getting one.

Just open the thing up and solder in a new battery. It's not user replaceable but that just means you need to use screw drivers and soldering irons

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flyingbrick said:

Damn that was my dream helmet, came very close to getting one.

Just open the thing up and solder in a new battery. It's not user replaceable but that just means you need to use screw drivers and soldering irons

That's option 2.

• 1 month later...

Fark i had a strange one yesterday, I was welding some doubler plates into a chassis, I got it more than clean enough I though. Was using mild steel filler wire. Welding along fine then just turned into a porus mess. Is mild steel tig filler wire shit compared to stainless? Pretty sure I cant remember battling with stainless nearly as much!