Resto help/tips

Ash Kelly barr

Hey do I put this on my "build discussion" thread but thought I'd post here as well to maybe get some non carina enthusiasts attention

"Hey so I've been scoraging through past okdschool forums for info on products/shops

Mainly because once it's got WOF/tires/lower in the rear I want to turn my attention back to up keep and resto

I see people commenting on autodec for carpet?

I looked them up but their websites down at the moment

http://autodec.co.nz

I'm not to fussed if it's original, just black, hard wearing and can be worked to fit well

Next is some sound deadening and I see mongoose for reasonable prices?

http://www.mongoose....ucts/q-mat.html

I'm not wanting to do the whole car but figure the interior fire wall and inside of where the 4 link mounts would cut a lot of road noise out??

Also any recommendations on under seal?

I didn't really find a huge amount in the search function, just long rides threads with pages and pages to sift through only find a mention of it.

I've already got a black under body enamel for the diff etc and want a spray on for the chassis.

I know the spray on stuff is more pricy but time is more my biggest factor. I don't really want to be under my car for 2-4 days brushing it on.

Any experience or recommendations are welcome and would be much appreciated!!"

With peeping under body a lot of people have said just to give it a good scrub and/or water blast

I don't really want to haft to sand blast and epoxi prime the bottom as its a load of work, cost and time.

Is there anything to be aware of since I don't want blast it all back?

Just clean the underside, fix/neutralise any rust and slap some underseal on. I use brush on, currently using some stuff that smells like tar, mendent underseal. It's cheap as too and didnt take long to brush on. It is a nightmare if you ever want to remove it again though

Am currently in the process of removing the crappy bitumen based tar like underseal from my car and can confirm it is a terrible job. I would just go for a better quality thin rubberised one to start with. The tar stuff I have on mine hasn't set properly after 3 years and price difference is bugger all. Single worst decision I made restoring my car was using cheap underseal.

• Like 1

Don't be scared of epoxy primers mate! I use resene durepox and was kinda hesitant at first but really it's piss easy and brushes/rolls on nice (I'll spray it onto places that matter but at this stage can't be bothered with the PPE and mess.

If you want an extremely durable coating then ya can't go past epoxy..its nice using paints that cover well and set HARD..the other stuff is for kids artwork etc (just my opinion

• Like 1

Am currently in the process of removing the crappy bitumen based tar like underseal from my car and can confirm it is a terrible job. I would just go for a better quality thin rubberised one to start with. The tar stuff I have on mine hasn't set properly after 3 years and price difference is bugger all. Single worst decision I made restoring my car was using cheap underseal.

the tar stuff never sets. its suppose to be like that to "self repair" when it gets pummelled with stones etc. to stop it being nasty and all the dirt sticking to it I just went over the underseal in my arches with a can of black spray paint.

• Like 1

I used that stuff on the aw11, I regret it as well.

It's pretty a track car so I'm not fussed but it still bugs me.

Don't be scared of epoxy primers mate! I use resene durepox and was kinda hesitant at first but really it's piss easy and brushes/rolls on nice (I'll spray it onto places that matter but at this stage can't be bothered with the PPE and mess.

If you want an extremely durable coating then ya can't go past epoxy..its nice using paints that cover well and set HARD..the other stuff is for kids artwork etc (just my opinion )

What underseal is the thick black stuff that dries hard (eg not tar based) and can be brushed or rolled on?

I have a tin of bitumen stuff here but it's a real chore to apply as its soooo thick and sort of separates into tar and solids if you try to roll it on.

Yeah I know that stuffs awesome.

Just that I don't have a hoist so it would haft to sit on stands, if I'm going that far then I'd sand blast the whole bottom, I've got an air compressor but no longer have a sand gun so would need to buy anouther

And that I'd want to do it properly so it would sit on stands for more then a couple weeks witch won't do as I like to go give it some shit if I've had a demanding day at work haha

And last time sand was in evey part of the house for months haha

What epoxi primer you use??

I bought Autodec carport for one of my MK 1 GT Cortinas. Fit was absolutely shit and I ended up having to re make it. The issue was the front carpet. That's my experience. Stripping the underside of old sealant is a bitch of a job. I have used a heat gun and scraper in the past. Only thing that worked!

• Like 1

I used that stuff on the aw11, I regret it as well.

It's pretty a track car so I'm not fussed but it still bugs me.

Yeah I know that stuffs awesome.

Just that I don't have a hoist so it would haft to sit on stands, if I'm going that far then I'd sand blast the whole bottom, I've got an air compressor but no longer have a sand gun so would need to buy anouther

And that I'd want to do it properly so it would sit on stands for more then a couple weeks witch won't do as I like to go give it some shit if I've had a demanding day at work haha

And last time sand was in evey part of the house for months haha

What epoxi primer you use??

Durepox from resene. It's the only stuff I have used (aside from aquapox but that was on something totally different)

• Like 1

auto dec carpets suck.

also, you could find a shop that does underbody sandblasting and undersealing for repair certs/compliance. I dont think its super expensive to get done, plus they can put rust proof stuff in the chassis rails

• Like 2

I gave away the autodec carpet I bought. utter shit.

For not much more you might be able to get stuff for your car (not sure what it is?) from here: http://www.knoxautocarpets.com.au/  well worth it

Mongoose stuff seems to work well. good price, easy to deal with.

Yeah knox make pretty good carpets, seemed to be the go to carpet for most restorers in melbs I knew.. 

• Like 1

Sweet, so no autodec haha

Who's Greg?

I've got factory molded carpets still so if I took them to someone maybe??

Is there someone on here who does under body work?

If I can get it done well for less/around 1000 over a reasonable time frame I'd probably be keen to get someone else to do it.

After getting sick of having bitumin under my nails every time I change the brakes or suspension settings on the AW I'd be keen for a solid coating.

3m 08861 is a good spray on underseal. Uses a special gun thats $100 but the underseal is like 25

What sort of gun dose it use? I've got a heavy gun I use for the duratech cat activated primer that does thinker stuff??