Samdash17's 1975 austin 1300-Discussion

samdash17

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

was bidding on a hayes manual until i got outbid :( and it would help me out so so much if one of you guys did come round would mean the world to me! hopefully it is a clutch problem because im guessing a diff and a gearbox wouldnt be cheap to fix , can the clutch be done without removing the engine ?

was bidding on a hayes manual until i got outbid :( and it would help me out so so much if one of you guys did come round would mean the world to me! hopefully it is a clutch problem because im guessing a diff and a gearbox wouldnt be cheap to fix , can the clutch be done without removing the engine ?

Find another haynes manual and have another bid.

• Like 2

i dont know what else it could be , axle are fine clutch is fine everything else is good just doesnt drive lol , i got told when the diff goes in one of these it throws shit into the gearbox iswell so yeah , wouldnt really know what it is until i get the engine out and inspect it all

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back in the day we used to get people that would drop their cars off to be worked on and piss off to the airport expecting the car fixed and finished when they got back from holidays.

and 9 times out of 10 theyd have no mag wheel key lock with the car......

heres a tip that sometimes works well.

undo all the other wheel nuts (relieve all tension) be sure no weight is on the wheel obviously.

next. Do all the wheel nuts back up.

extra tight.

this can then remove tension/pressure from the lock nut thread.

Then depending on the wheel and the nut in question use vise grips or multi grips to undo the lock nut.

Or tap an old socket over it and undo.

This used to work about 70-80% of the time.

Just be wary not to snap the other studs by going too crazy over tightening.

In some cases we sprayed a little rp7 or wd40 etc around the lock nut to assist.

Good luck

If the other suggestions don't work (some locknuts are designed so that no normal socket or wrench can get enough grip) get a socket that fits over it very snugly.. Then fill it with bog before ya smack it back over the nut. Use an old rachet without the ball detent release thing (you will fuck it) and keep the ratchet on the socket when you put it on so all the bog can't escape.

Wait for it to set hard.

Mate.

Grab a manual either in hard form or pdf.

Read up on what to do and how to do it.

.....then. do it.

Best way to learn is to have a go yourself.

And if it doesn't work well all you've lost is some time (and pride if that actually bothers you.)

You can always part it out after if you have no luck.

• Like 3