Samdash17's 1975 austin 1300-Discussion

samdash17

Mate.

Grab a manual either in hard form or pdf.

Read up on what to do and how to do it.

.....then. do it.

Best way to learn is to have a go yourself.

And if it doesn't work well all you've lost is some time (and pride if that actually bothers you.)

You can always part it out after if you have no luck.

Pretty much what he said except i think it'll be something so simple that most people miss it.

Like, i'd look at it myself if i could.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a go at assembling it yourself. You have the manual. Can ask advice on here. You'll learn heaps and the car doesn't owe you bugger all so well worth a go.

When it's all done you can look back proper proud like !

• Like 1

Not sure what you did when you pulled the engine and box out of the car. (But you have anyway?) If unsure i usually keep a track of exactly where bolts etc come from and sit/lay them out i a sequence or pattern so i know how to piece it together again correctly.

If you did something like this find your self an exploded diagram and check that someone before you hasn't mixed any bolts etc up.

I once scored myself a handball wrecker job. They underpriced my quote and fityed a second hand transmission only to stuff it all up. So it ended up coming to me.

What i found was they had mixed all the bolts up and fitted short bolts where long should be etc and visa versa.

Some bolts went into non blind threads and were meant to be short with a locating dowel on the end of the thread. Instead they just forced a long bolt into it which fouled on rotating parts and caused jo end of bother.

That was one job i never wanted to see again........

Approx 4 or 5 incorrect bolts caused no end of drama.

• Like 1

Stupidest thing was i quoted 4500 for full rebuild, install and 12months warranty.

They paid 2900 for 2nd hand stuffed install and no warranty.

Then had to pay a tow to me and then all my labor and diagnostic costs.

Total bill in the end for a pos 2nd hand transmission for them was almost 5000 (wreckers stuffed a few other items not related to transmission but needed replacement too due to shoddy install)

• Like 1