megasquirt questions

BlownCorona

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry by msns (megasquirt and spark) I mean ms2/extra

it's the newest code that runs on the same hardware and is what most people run as it has lots more features, is more developed and works better than the "oem" bowling and grippo code which is super old now.

latest version is 3.4 I think

http://www.msextra.com/manuals/ms2manuals/

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/Megasquirt2_Setting_Up-3.4.pdf/Megasquirt2_Setting_Up-3.4.html

I've had limited exposure to them but from what I've seen and read I think they're potentially hugely overrated, a dude whose fairly serious Skyline build I am going to be tuning may end up going with the MS3Pro after a few conversations we've had - the spec looks awesome for what it offers.

I think a lot of the issues people have with them are user error, they are actually reasonably "advanced" in terms of capability etc and I think a lot of people don't get their head around what needs to be configured to make them work properly - I've picked up the tuning for a car which had already been "running well" on a MS3 and on first glance through it I spotted a number of things which weren't quite on the money, hard to say whether fucks not given or if they just didn't realise what it all meant, but either way I'll always embrace ways of making a setup which "goes well" go even better :)   Will be doing a dyno tune on it this weekend, looking forward to getting more intimate with it.

Baha!  I just realised I said "OVERRATED" here, I meant underrated.  Oops!

Did my first dyno tune using a MegaSquirt this weekend and it performed flawlessly, I guess there isn't too much to say if it was a fairly standard tune.  Was an LS2 with a bigger cam and boltons, and everything went smoothly.  I found the software really intuitive to use and everything was really consistent.   Seemed much like using a "generic" wire in Link, there are even lots of starting points you can get for the MegaSquirts so even the "from scratch" idea is probably less relevant these days.  

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/canegt-channel-thermocouple-interface-p-542.html

I'm keen to be able to monitor EGTs when I go 2 injectors per cyl, because there's a much greater chance of a cylinder running lean if one injector gets clogged or wiring fault or something.

And it will be interesting to see how this relates to ignition timing etc. On the Motec basetune for 3SGTEs they add more fuel and pull a little timing on cyl 3 for safety purposes as it runs the hottest.

So it would be interesting to see EGTs across a tune that's equal on all cylinders.

I think RS do the GT101 or a similar flanged 1-bolt one too

good thing is you will get it the next day more or less.

Thing is, since I'll be mounting it inside a distributor housing, I have no way to get the gap between sensor and trigger wheel right without having a threaded body sensor. But it looks like rs components have a good threaded item anyway