megasquirt questions

BlownCorona

hello electronically minded people. 

i am putting a megasquirt 1 into the corona to run ignition (still runs carbs) and am having trouble with inputs/outputs etc

i am using the points as the trigger for RPM and then outputting to the coil via the coil driver mod. 

however i dont seem to be getting any input from the points to give an RPM signal. i see its meant to light up one of the LEDs when triggering but i get nothing.

also when i bench tested it, the LEDs would like up a bit when powering on, but i get nothing now, im not sure if this is related to updating the firmware though. the ecu powers up and reads the few inputs i have fine (tps and voltage pretty much)

so my real question is, does someone here who knows about this kinda stuff far better than i do, have any idea when i cant get a signal from the points, and thus no output to the coil for spark? i cant really find anywhere in tunerstudio that shows whats actually going on with the ecu

hope that wasn't too confusing! cheers

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never done any MS stuff so don't really know shit about specifics, but is the trigger expecting a high (+) or low (-) signal?

I am guessing that it is expecting a positive voltage spike to signify the pulses, while your points (I'm assuming) are earthed so giving a negative voltage to signify the pulses.

Do you have any form of voltage divider setup currently?

i did this from the diyautotune website, which should be the same as the diagram ben posted? its in MSnS mode too

edit wrong copy past, hold up

edit edit, typical, i cant bloody find the reference for the mod i did to run off of points, i certainly remember the 45 minute drive to find a jaycar to buy the 1k resistor thought! ill keep looking and post here to make sure ive done it right, but for now just assume there is a pullup circuit on the board now,  

im suffieciently suspisious that i dont have this set up right, i cannot for the life of me find the instructions for the mod i did, but im pretty sure it was the same as this picture for a hall effect sensor. 

Do i ALSO need to put the 1k resistor from the battery up to the points?

input-neg5.jpg

under what section would i find this? i dont see it on the same pane as where i select MSnS

oh its not a software setting its how you setup the pcb.

yes you'll need a 1k resistor from vcc to xg1(same as the above pic of the pull up from the battery). post a pic of what you have and ill let you know if its right. 

you can see the 1k resistor in place of D5, and the two jumpers as per that hall effect diagram. would this be the configuration for hall/optical you were refering too? and my issue is that i dont have the pullup resistor ciruit like i thought i did?

excuse the silicone, trying to make sure nothing fails due to vibration

4t04as54.tf1.jpg

URL=http://s1145.photobucket.com/user/71fliboi/media/IMAG0673.jpg.html]IMAG0673.jpg[/url]

oh right you are, D5, D8 and R10 were all removed, it seems i put the 1k resistor in the wrong spot. (is that hall sensor diagram the same for contact points?) 

so along with that, i should also run the lead+1k resistor from battery to the '+' side of the points for lack of a better term correct??

Yes hall and points are the same just a square wave. Reason we need the 1k pull up is so when they open and close to ground there is a voltage difference that the ecu can measure

Close, but not really. Let me show you a waveform from that point:

eqdp0l1l.bvi.jpg

You can see there's a bunch of edges even going negative, so you're going to need some signal cleaning to use that point, even if it's level triggered, though typically that kind of input is edge triggered... I assume the coil mood you mention will have that covered for you, thinking about it. Point to note, is that the peak voltages are ~100 - 200V

I moved the resistor to the correct location and now when cranking I had an led come on, unfortunately the battery ran flat after messing with it all day, so hopefully I can repair my charger tonight.

Sorry for all the questions downtrail! But just to get my head around it, the 1k resistor mod IN the ecu, is this the 'pull up resistor' Or merely a configuration and the pull up is the external wiring in the pic Ben posted?

Cheers!