megasquirt questions

BlownCorona

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the turning on when the key is off, is because I have the signal positive wired straight to the battery and the MS diagrams show it on 12v switched, so that's an easy fix.

But I don't know why it doesn't want to earth properly when actualy turned on

im looking at the transistors, the internet tells me Q3 is for the fuel pump? 

its a PN2222A-C36 but i cant really find any info on what way around it should be. also alot of sources online refer to it as a 2N2222A, same thing? all the small transistors on my board are the same unit. 

Edit- assembly instructions state PN2222A so thats all good

Hmm so on closer inspection, the ecu seems to work exactly as it should. Earthing the pin for a few seconds to prime, lining up with what the laptop displays.

And the relay/ pump works as it should when earthing the relay manually, I've also switched the signal wire to 12v switched so no more running with key off.

But when I join the relay earth to the ecu, it doesn't work as you'd expect and I don't know why this is. The laptop still displays a pump prime. But it doesn't happen

So everything appears to work until you plug the relay into the ECU?

Can you turn the car off, and read the voltage on the ECU pin? Should be ~batt voltage. Then keep measuring while turning the car on so it primes and see what it says? Maybe increase the priming pulse to 5sec or so so the multimeter has time to settle.

It should read basically 0. If it doesnt, then maybe the output driver is broken and needs replacing?

Ah, yeah, that makes sense with it connected to switched 12v. Should be fine then... Maybe measure the 12V side of the relay? Should be fine if it works when you short the micro pin to ground though, so im out...

Pic / cct diagram please. We can check for things like: current limiting resistors, and does the relay have a catch diode for its turn-off spike.

(disclaimer, I screwed up exactly those things on a simple cct recently)

D7 is in the correct orientation. just discovered my soldering iron is dead :( will have to wait till either work on monday, or till i can get a new one to replace Q3. hopefully its just that

jaycar dont list a PN2222A. but they do list a 2N2222A. is this interchangeable? ive seen plenty of mention of the 2N variant on forums and a direct quote from the assembly manual; 

Note: Digi-Key parts kits use the ZTX450 as a drop-in replacement for the 2N2222A originally specified.

i understand about checking all the pinouts etc

Will be fine just check data sheet for orientation it may be those 2 that are opposites

D7 is in the correct orientation. just discovered my soldering iron is dead :( will have to wait till either work on monday, or till i can get a new one to replace Q3. hopefully its just that

jaycar dont list a PN2222A. but they do list a 2N2222A. is this interchangeable? ive seen plenty of mention of the 2N variant on forums and a direct quote from the assembly manual;

Note: Digi-Key parts kits use the ZTX450 as a drop-in replacement for the 2N2222A originally specified.

i understand about checking all the pinouts etc