megasquirt questions

BlownCorona

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

your cruise  rows,   put all the timing in by 3000-3500.  35-40 deg

pretty much same deal with full load.  but less.   really wouldn't bother going over 30 unless you can measure some gains by going further.

romandave:  crank it up.   28 is about what i run on the stinky 4age with shitloads of compression. 37deg on cruise from memory. 

• Like 1

very very simple to add coil drivers. 

i assume they would use the standard BIP driver that i have 1x running my stock setup? 

its just a big to-220 cased transistor/coil driver. with a resistor soldered to one leg. that goes to a specific point on the board. the other two go to the coil (-) and a ground. the hardest part is actually finding a way to mount it nicely inside the ECU haha

• Like 1

Pretty straightforward to add coil drivers?

Ideally that's what I'd like to do, in that case it would be full sequential right?

Would it also need a cam angle sensor to know what phase the cylinder is at?

not sequential.  still batch fire fuelling (two batches)  and wasted spark ignition

I would run it wasted spark so you only have to add 2 coil drivers to the board instead of 6 (they only come with 2). If you run wasted spark then there is no need to run a cam sensor either so that is a perk. Only down side is possibly a little worse economy and plug life, but realistically that isn't a problem.

Motts cruiser runs wasted spark on a blown ls with no issues so they are good for a bunch of power haha

.. the hardest part is actually finding a way to mount it nicely inside the ECU haha

I mounted my 3 drivers outside the ecu inside a little heat sink I made from alloy angle. Keeps inside of ecu really tidy plus less high current stuff running through plug. Allowed for nice beefy wires to coils too for less voltage drop.

• Like 1

i mounted mine on the floor of the ecu case. it did require cutting one corner off the PCB to fit the wire though to the external plug i put in. while this was fine and tidy for one coil driver/wire, any more and the wires wouldnt fit in the small gap the small piece of PCB that can be removed provides, so you'd need to use your imagination, 

Nah when dave says drivers he means outputs not actual ignitors. Just logic level outputs which requires some bonus wires to get from the chip and doodads to the connector on the mega or microsquirt. Then use coils with built in ignitors eg. Ls coils, mitsi, Subaru etc there are quite a few options. I think Subaru ones from aliexpress are cheapest for a 4cyl setup but ls ones are probably stronger sparking

• Like 2

From listing....

we clean them and test them, look like new

No they don't. They look like old coils that have been sprayed with wd40 then quickly had a photo taken while they look shiny.
  • Like 2