120why's 75 Datsun 120y

120why

You could keep the same idea but get the sloped lines (as one section on the LHS of Datsun) and the Datsun done in Satin or Gloss black, so it's there but doesn't stand out like dogs bollocks? Maybe? Also, not a huge fan of them "angry eyes"

You've done stellar work on one of the most unloved Datsuns though, good stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Nice build love the old Datsuns. Had a worked a12 and it went pretty well for what it was.

That chin spoiler looks good where did you get it from? Looking for something similar

Cheers! Yeah I have been tossing up whether to work thevery a12 or the a14. I have decided with the a14.

Chinspoiler came off trademe about a year ago, they are for a mk1 golf. They come in two pieces and you have to trim the center down to fit it to a datto. I haven't seen one for sale in a while, paid about 140ish plus shipping from memory

• 1 year later...

Ha, awesome. I've lived in Masterton for the past few years and have seen you driving about in this all the time. Sounds brilliant. Didn't know you had a build thread here. Good work with the a14 on Dell'ortos, I like. The homemade engine cradle is a nice bit of kit too, I'll remember that for future projects. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

What is the H165 out of? From memory the 1200 ute housings with axles bolted up (all were H165) although hard to find these days. If from a 910 or similar make sure you dont have to pump the guards to make up for any extra width. How badly are you breaking them?

I must have had the worlds strongest H150 in old TUFDAT - 5 years of absolute abuse (shown below) and it only got a little noisey lol. TBH its last 2 years were run with 100% lucas oil stabilizer as the diff oil. That stuff really works.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, brocky41 said:

What is the H165 out of? From memory the 1200 ute housings with axles bolted up (all were H165) although hard to find these days. If from a 910 or similar make sure you dont have to pump the guards to make up for any extra width. How badly are you breaking them?

I must have had the worlds strongest H150 in old TUFDAT - 5 years of absolute abuse (shown below) and it only got a little noisey lol. TBH its last 2 years were run with 100% lucas oil stabilizer as the diff oil. That stuff really works.

Shit that h150 took some hard work!

h165 is from a 1200 ute, same width as the 120y h150 diff.
Maybe I should get some of that oil... might be worthwhile in this new diff.

Video below of how bad they get lol 

• 1 month later...
On 03/04/2020 at 08:28, Otodat said:

Could that short driveshaft be off 510. Was looking on 1200.com and 510 is 1082mm u joint to u joint with h165 flange pattern but different spigot size.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Propeller_Shaft_Swaps

It's possible? Maybe someone swapped the yoke from L series to A series?

I ended up getting my other shaft shortened and balanced as that one was slightly too short and way out of balance!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Ideally with an NA motor you want to stay around the 12.8:1 (richest) to 13.2 (leanest) sort of range for best power. 

Anything where you're dipping into 11s and you'll be losing power or possibly even misfiring

EDIT: Sorry not sure why it included an off topic pic. haha

• Like 1

• 1 year later...