Jump to content

DAD

Members
  • Content Count

    140
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

452 Excellent

About DAD

  • Rank
    Advanced Member
  • Birthday 23/11/1987

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male

Converted

  • Local Area
    Outside NZ

Recent Profile Visitors

1,342 profile views
  1. Thanks for the input @Geophy! The plan is indeed to make a steel frame with aluminium cladding (actually pondering using aluminium signboard rather than bare ali sheet, but similar concept). Will use wooden battens and ply interior cladding, with rigid insulation (polystyrene or polyurethane) in the voids. In related news some of the steel arrived this week!
  2. The double-cab is the fly in the ointment for sure. Note the past-tense in my previous reply, foldy-tilty-fuckery is off the table at present.
  3. That's a really neat method. I had pondered something along the lines of the last one you mentioned using something like this https://www.topmaq.co.nz/8-ton-double-action-hydraulic-long-ram-jack-hyra2050?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8IaGBhCHARIsAGIRRYoW2ZUkaXhw362LU5o7ZCOqoGHUOxV3OF6X1AMLfIYYBcbVn_uG2bgaAuIFEALw_wcB
  4. New toys! We are extremely grateful to have a space to work on our truck - it's not a small project. However, there is no power at the part of the property where it lives. We've reached this point using 18v DeWalt powered aggression, but that won't cut the mustard when metal needs sticking together rather than chopping to bits. Enter this big bastard. This is hopefully punchy enough to run anything we can chuck at it, and after the build is finished will serve as the backup generator for our solar setup. However, quality control was a bit sub-par. While testing the genera
  5. Good question! At the moment erring towards a false floor in the luton. Other idea under consideration is a 'mild tilting' house that pivots at the back and can be raised somewhat at the front on bottlejacks/rams to provide clearance. Need to get my Pythagoras out.
  6. Yes, can get all the extruded bits in aluminium from Ullrich (other places too I imagine). The 2 other estimates I've had for the GRP/Foam composite panels for a project of this size have been in the $20k+ range. Better than the 'finished box' price, but still...
  7. Hi all, I've been meaning to post this up for some time, but was finally inspired to put finger to keyboard after a sharncall with @yoeddynz last night. @PastyDynamite and I bought this for ourselves as a Christmas present, with the goal of housetruck conversion and living the pikey dream. She (the Hino, not Meg), is a retired Hino FF173 double cab. She was converted into a fire engine by Mills Tui in Rotorua, and served time in Bulls, Foxton, Ratana and Kaiaua and racked up approx 43000km in that time. She was listed locally on TM, and it turned out the guy selling her wa
  8. On my 20v 4AGE swap I needed to provide the ECU with a switched earth speed signal to stop it throwing error codes. Eventually did it by hacking up a bicycle computer setup - you know the ones, magnet on a spoke and sensor on the forks jobby. Attached a small neodynium magnet to the prop and the sensor to the driveshaft hoop. Bit of a bodge but worked for my purposes, not sure if it would work here?
  9. Nice to see this thing getting love, it's a little gem. The rust repairs look smart.
  10. When I was slapping everything together back at the end of 2017 to get this thing on the boat to the UK, I did a bit of a hash job splicing the wiring looms (4age engine and ECU loom, and the Starlet body loom) together, just to get it into a running state to load. It worked, so I left it as it was for 12 months and just enjoyed the car, but it bugged me knowing what a shitfest it was under the dash. Take a look at this mess: So I ordered a nice fuse/distribution box and set about shortening wires, routing them properly, and generally making the whole thing easier to trou
  11. This was tucked away over winter having some tickling. It was running really well last year, but was drinking a bit of oil, and would let out a puff of smoke when opening the throttle wide after a period of pootling. Compressions were good on all 4, symptoms pointed to valve stem seals, which is a common issue for these engines at this age. As a 'while I'm here' job, I decided to replace the inlet cam VVT pulley, as this had developed a rattle (again, extremely common due to wear of the internal teeth that engage to actuate the vvt timing change). NOS pulleys are available, but expensive ,
  12. Lime! This is a cool car. Was the neighbour of my Starlet for a while in it's previous shed location. Good choice of wheel, I like a Longchamp.
  13. Oops, missed one. This is it next to one of my dad's Triumphs, and my brother's MX5. Fun little family jaunt!
  14. Long overdue update. Essentially I've just been driving this on sunny days. It's great, it's been very well behaved so far, and I love it. Plans over winter include a head-off tickle up with new valve stem seals, a thinner 0.8mm TRD metal head gasket, and a new VVT pulley (the old one is worn and rattles like hell). Chuffed really.
×
×
  • Create New...