Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by DAD

  1. On my 20v 4AGE swap I needed to provide the ECU with a switched earth speed signal to stop it throwing error codes. Eventually did it by hacking up a bicycle computer setup - you know the ones, magnet on a spoke and sensor on the forks jobby. Attached a small neodynium magnet to the prop and the sensor to the driveshaft hoop. Bit of a bodge but worked for my purposes, not sure if it would work here?
  2. Nice to see this thing getting love, it's a little gem. The rust repairs look smart.
  3. When I was slapping everything together back at the end of 2017 to get this thing on the boat to the UK, I did a bit of a hash job splicing the wiring looms (4age engine and ECU loom, and the Starlet body loom) together, just to get it into a running state to load. It worked, so I left it as it was for 12 months and just enjoyed the car, but it bugged me knowing what a shitfest it was under the dash. Take a look at this mess: So I ordered a nice fuse/distribution box and set about shortening wires, routing them properly, and generally making the whole thing easier to trou
  4. This was tucked away over winter having some tickling. It was running really well last year, but was drinking a bit of oil, and would let out a puff of smoke when opening the throttle wide after a period of pootling. Compressions were good on all 4, symptoms pointed to valve stem seals, which is a common issue for these engines at this age. As a 'while I'm here' job, I decided to replace the inlet cam VVT pulley, as this had developed a rattle (again, extremely common due to wear of the internal teeth that engage to actuate the vvt timing change). NOS pulleys are available, but expensive ,
  5. Lime! This is a cool car. Was the neighbour of my Starlet for a while in it's previous shed location. Good choice of wheel, I like a Longchamp.
  6. Oops, missed one. This is it next to one of my dad's Triumphs, and my brother's MX5. Fun little family jaunt!
  7. Long overdue update. Essentially I've just been driving this on sunny days. It's great, it's been very well behaved so far, and I love it. Plans over winter include a head-off tickle up with new valve stem seals, a thinner 0.8mm TRD metal head gasket, and a new VVT pulley (the old one is worn and rattles like hell). Chuffed really.
  8. I won't argue with either of these sentences. Doing it well enough, at least (I hope) Brapbrapbrap. Gonna see how well it drives stock first, but porting not out of the question when its roadworthy. Hi Al.
  9. Hi all, We weren't back in the UK long before everything got a bit daft. The Starlet arrived from NZ, and Meg started craving a project car of her own. This popped up about an hour away from us, on FB marketplace. Low mileage, UK market S3 FB that had been (garaged) off the road for 12 years, following an MOT failure for rust (obviously). Here, have the shit picture that made me drive out to see it. Allegedly a runner, the chap couldn't get it running when I arrived. Had some nasty areas of rot, particularly on inner/outer sills, and some annoyingly crusty non-struc
  10. Pipes were AliExpress sourced iirc, unsurprised that they didn't bother packing them with anything
  11. Amaze, so glad this went to a good home, Meg will be stoked that you've been cracking on. Looking forward to seeing your progress with the big block
  12. I painted up the rear spoiler before this show. It was a plain aluminium one from T3 originally, but I wanted to make it look like it belonged on the starlet. I built the paint up in the same colour layers as the original, age worn paint, then rubbed it back to try and get it to match the rear hatch. Pretty pleased with how it turned out.
  13. Got papped at the Bicester Sunday Scramble last weekend. Awesome varied turnout of cars at an old ww2 bomber airbase. Have a peek here for more pics, really good show! http://www.speedhunters.com/2018/04/the-perfect-spring-at-sunday-scramble/
  14. DVLA blew the deadline, hoping to take it out for a buzz tomorrow night.
  15. Yep, only *need* to hand in plates if you want a part refund on rego. Mine was on hold anyway and I'll be damned if I'm giving up those rad plates.
  16. Ha, awesome. I've lived in Masterton for the past few years and have seen you driving about in this all the time. Sounds brilliant. Didn't know you had a build thread here. Good work with the a14 on Dell'ortos, I like. The homemade engine cradle is a nice bit of kit too, I'll remember that for future projects.
  17. Sorry @Sparkle me ol' muck, I was chipping away at getting the transport stuff sorted last weekend, aiming to get her away early December. They replied with "okay sweet, we'll be through to collect her on Tuesday, will call you with a time". Sheeeeeet. Last weekend was a blur getting everything sorted. Bye bye Betty! If you ever find yourself in the UK hit me up for a drive!
  18. Also saw this on TM, cool car, keen to see it getting spruced and de-Barry-ed
  19. Done! (for now...) This thing is starting it's journey back to the UK tomorrow, so a last push saw the final jobs sorted. Took it for a buzz down the road, and other than sketchy (not bedded in yet) brakes, it was good! Nice to see it in sunlight, now to seal it in a box for a few weeks until it pops up in England!
  • Create New...