Gear oil

ajg193

So I was talking to NickJ, he reckoned to use GL-4 spec oil. (As have some of you.)

Also talked to the guy at Toyota this morning, he reckons 30 years ago when these were new they came out of the factory notchy when cold. He suggested to use either ATF or 10W-30 oil.

Ended up getting some GL-4 Castrol VMX 80W oil (pretty much exactly what the haynes manual recommends). It even says on the bottle that it makes low temperature shifting easier. I've put it in and I will see how it goes over the next few weeks.

• Like 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will find most GL5 mineral oils have alot of ep additive in them to get them up to the GL5 spec. semi and full synthetic GL5s will have far less EP additives to bring them up to spec, with the better technology inherently more resistant  to high loads. Less EP additive = Less aggressive on your brass/bronze etc.

I don't trust that redline at all. We went through a rally season of constantly replacing gearbox bearings, diffs and smashing gears after swapping from castrol to the redline (was a sponsorship deal).

I've run it in my circuit/road car no worries though so maybe it just can't put up with the extreme loading rallying requires.

• Like 1

there are at least 4 or 5 different redline gear oils , soooo many people say ; use/dont use redline like there is only one type ! I have always been happy with the ones (different types in different applications) I have used . I have been told that the thought with race type oils is they only do one event and dont like sitting or constant use which kinda makes sense

there are at least 4 or 5 different redline gear oils , soooo many people say ; use/dont use redline like there is only one type ! I have always been happy with the ones (different types in different applications) I have used . I have been told that the thought with race type oils is they only do one event and dont like sitting or constant use which kinda makes sense

We tried pretty much all of them during the course of the season. Didn't seem to make much difference. Was hardest on gearbox bearings mainly which makes sense if it's too thick/sticky more friction and heat etc.

Just my 2c. In my rally car we use Penrite or castrol..

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

My dub fiddy five is a bit crunchy running whatever 80w90 I dumped in it so gonna give this expensive Penrite stuff a jam, see if it makes a difference. Failing that I'll go with the general consensus of this thread and mash some redline in it.