advice needed on correctly bending my kp steering knuckle

4AGEMAD

So long story short ive only just noticed that one of my bugeye knuckles is bent about 10mm out.

Before I start making a mess of things tomorrow itll be appreciated if one of you engineering whizzes can give give me a few tips.

I have access to an oxy/acetylene torch etc at work.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heat it up and straighten it in a press, it isn't ideal but chances are you will get away with it.

It really isn't that dodgy, people have been straightening things for years with no ill effects, basically it is just scare mongering from people who have very little knowledge in positions of power.

Even if you don't get away with it the worst that is going to happen is that the caster will pull that wheel straight and you will have to pull to the side of the road steering with one wheel, no big deal really.

To get past the wof brigade just wire wheel and paint and no one will know.

• Like 6

Thanks rookie, good to know that there is confidence in what I have done.

Funny thing was is that my old work mate who does my wofs was helping me out so no issues there haha.

Its still not perfect but it will do, was hitting the sway bar coming up to full lock before. See how it turns out tomorrow.

sure its not stressed out? not since it was bent 10 ish mm  . . . .   it will be fine as long as you don't heat it up to much . . . . .  Toyota steel is much better than china spec . . . . .

are you lot serious? just read all of the comments and think about this for a minuet

!! this is the bit that connects you to your steering . there are reasons why you don't straighten them, heat them, or repair them. its cause IF THEY BREAK YOU ARE IN THE FUCKING SHIT 

• Like 5

look at all the work you have done to your car, think about the implications of your steering braking whilst going somewhere, or if you are on the motorway  ?

look at the all the work you have done going down the toilet if it does go wrong,. what happens if you take out a car full of people from crossing the center line?

im not going to argue about the strength of cast components, before or after being bent then heated and straightened,  or how you can have success at straightening it . because there is no NDT testing or any way to prove that you are right . this stuff can fail that is why its not meant to be done . this is a proven fact . this is why its law. its to keep everyone safe cause no one can be sure the repair is sound . don't be ignorant and say its safe , its illegal to repair for a reason  

the point is if it goes wrong and you have tried to repair it , then its your fault. is all your work worth a easy replacement part? or someone's lives ?  

just think about it, its not a expensive part to replace

• Like 2

lol   really , this is some sort of justification to repairing a cast steering components ??? is your axel directing the vehicle? is your axel about 130mm long and bent 10mm??? common , just think about it

its really a simple thing to grasp here, look at all the things that could go wrong how many people could be killed. just if this one thing fails from a repair that you cant be sure is a good solid repair .

its not illegal cause the there is a 0.5% chance that it would fail, its illegal cause you don't know if the repair has been done successfully, and its been proven time and time again that it can fail . this isn't something you can measure with a tape measure or tools from home. you haven't got any of the NDT testing or x ray inspection , you have a willy nilly "don't heat it up to much"  type of answer .

this shouldn't even be an argument , its ridiculous . , go have a Google , go do some research of metallurgical science, find out for your self why its illegal . we as a car community shouldn't be condoning bad practice, we are here to inform and help each other . Im not going to argue about this any more. I feel what I have said should be enough for anyone to grasp the seriousness of this topic. don't muck around with cast steering stuff its just not worth it.

just throw it in the bin and get a new one.

• Like 2

yeah that's why I chimed in.

to be honest I would look at maybe t3, I believe they make after market parts for steering at good prices, im not sure if they will fit your car though . and old skool autos sells lots of k stuff too. they are in palmy and have lots of the old school parts in stock

so there is a couple options for you that may help , im sure someone on here will be able to help you out probably too. : )

• Like 1

ok I've been here with some mates on a club k cruse . they main man Daz is a fairly likable character hahahaha , try them, www.oldscoolautos.co.nz

I don't know a hell of a lot about k as all my shit is t stuff .so I'm not sure about the interchangeability of specific k series gear , but I do know these guys have lots of k stuff and they are a good bunch of cunts : )

• Like 1

sure its not stressed out? not since it was bent 10 ish mm  . . . .   it will be fine as long as you don't heat it up to much . . . . .  Toyota steel is much better than china spec . . . . .

are you lot serious? just read all of the comments and think about this for a minuet

!! this is the bit that connects you to your steering . there are reasons why you don't straighten them, heat them, or repair them. its cause IF THEY BREAK YOU ARE IN THE FUCKING SHIT 

Ford  I-beams.  Thousands bent by hotrodders, most people don't use heat on jap' car parts though.

• Like 3