advice needed on correctly bending my kp steering knuckle

4AGEMAD

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rules are rules whether its ok or not is a completely different kettle of fish. You could also go and kick the shit out of some dude if you so desired nothing is stopping you and you in your mind may think its ok to do so as he slepd with your missus. Fair reasoning I believe but because you think its ok to do so does that make it ok or legal to do such a thing?

its a pretty pointless tech section if we cant discuss facts and ideas without constant weanerism?

how about old mate getting chopped down for a legitmate observation in the radiator thread?

locking it solves everything.

• Like 2

Everybody knows what would happen but is it ok to do so??? Youd probably get charged too!

Point im trying to make is if everybody followed rules / procedures and the nut saks that fuck things up through igronence / plain stupidity causing new rules to be created didn't fuck things up we wouldn't be in the position To have to bow down to the man when ever we wanted to do something.

What if you caught the guy molesting your daughter.

I knew this would turn to shit. as soon as I said it shouldn't be done , I knew all the people would find some shit to argue with , make a big deal about it . turn it into a argument of what can and cant be done. blar blar blar

but its the law

its the law because you have to cater for dumb fucks who kill people from being ignorant and stupid . AND DOING IT WRONG! something you may have over looked , not everyone knows "how hot to make it"

I didn't make the law, but its there and that is it. look at certifiers and the hoops you have to jump through to get a cert. they wont touch cast/heated/welded/fucked with.  

this guy asked for some help , you guys were giving him bad advice , so I said something. simple as that.

• Like 3

Crikey this got outta hand lol

The reasoning for the whole thread was to get advice from an experienced engineer in whether or not there can be a safe way in straightening a cast steering arm.

I do realise it is illegal by the books, but same with welding your steering hubs to coilovers, UNLESS it is welded by someone who knows what theyre doing and is crack tested.

Which brings me to another question, could it at all be non destructively crack tested to ensure its safety or is this a whole different path?

• Like 1

but same with welding your steering hubs to coilovers, UNLESS it is welded by someone who knows what theyre doing and is crack tested.

nope, from a legal point of view, still cant weld it to a casting, doesnt matter weather its someone who knows what they are doing, or if its crack tested.

• Like 1

The guy would have the shit beat out of him?

Nobody can give an accurate answer to that question of whether it would fail or not.

In all honestly probably not. We chop and weld steering components all the time with drifting they get ndt'd and are accepted by msnz with the supporting paper work.

Have they broken?

Mine no but many have usually from impact.

Its ok tho as we sign out lives away when we go out. if you get killed or kill somebody (and yes that also happens) you knew the risks so did your family tough shit.

The poor guy traveling to the dairy to get milk for his wives tea didn't sign his life away tho. he infact did everything properly with regular maintenance keeping his car upto wof standard. But gets killed due to xyz breaking off some other dudes car because he thought it was ok to do so. Even tho it wasn't illegal to do so. He still fucked it up now theres a guy paying the ultimate price....

Get where im going

• Like 3

heres some relevant info on welding struts together that have cast/forged bits

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/infosheets/LVVTA_Info_05-2012_Welded_Aftermarket_Suspension_Struts.pdf

as far as i know, none of these struts have been approved, one manufacturer had one tested, it failed, they modified the welding process and tried again, still no good, so they basically said "fuck this, NZ is a tiny market, CBF" and didnt bother any more

• Like 2

I was a mechanic for 15 years ,I was also an avi for quite a few of them years, i have worked on trucks cars and bikes , I have done truck wheel alignments which require bending the front beam . i know all about what you can and cant do . but i also know the law . i had to learn all the dos and don'ts and the reasons why and now I am an apprentice tool maker , so I am currently studying metallurgical science.

in fact metallurgical science is its own entire trade. inspecting metals and why they have failed, for insurance etc. there is so much to it, i could talk ages about it, its fascinating. . .  but the depth of this argument is to wide to sum it up with broad statements and comparing a solid truck front beam suspension or a ford I beam to a tinny Toyota steering arm is not a debatably angle that I would like to take, its silly, and i don't have to time to point out why its not worth trying to argue about

you just cant fuck with cast , that is the law. this is it. now I know that it can be done, we do a lot of things in industry that is safe and fine . we test things and there are procedures created from metallurgical science , this is how we came up with the techniques .  but at the end of the day this is a car forum , someone needed some solid advice so lets give them the right advice .

• Like 3

getting back on topic

generally you would spark test it to get an idea of carbon content, as long as their yellow and forking your fine to heat bend and cool slowly, just make a little hut of (preferibly fire bricks) around it and leave it from an even cherry red to stone cold. you will need the little house to use as a furnace with oa torch to get it hot anyway

if their red and short it probibly cracked allready,

red is loads of carbon like 8% or more, which long story short just throw it away

its most likely low enough to be fine

for the sake of what your doing thats about all you need to know.

heres hoping for some constructive input

Oh is that right cletus, I figured that was the go now with this.

I realise were going a bit off topic but am I still in the shit show with my front suspension yet having the above work done?

Going for a certification that is.

getting back on topic

generally you would spark test it to get an idea of carbon content, as long as their yellow and forking your fine to heat bend and cool slowly, just make a little hut of (preferibly fire bricks) around it and leave it from an even cherry red to stone cold. you will need the little house to use as a furnace with oa torch to get it hot anyway

if their red and short it probibly cracked allready,

red is loads of carbon like 8% or more, which long story short just throw it away

its most likely low enough to be fine

for the sake of what your doing thats about all you need to know.

heres hoping for some constructive input

I would suggest annealing after hot working back into shape.

if cracking is a concern then crack test them prior to hot working.

Without seeing a picture there is a good chance that they are ok.

I would still but new if they exist as cast iron technology (spherical cast iron) has improved greatly and it's the safest way.

Dave start a metallurgy thread if you want more discussions.

Oh is that right cletus, I figured that was the go now with this.

I realise were going a bit off topic but am I still in the shit show with my front suspension yet having the above work done?

Going for a certification that is.

if its the struts in your build thread, those have been welded to the original strut tube, ( mild steel)  not to the cast/forged lower part. Welding to the strut tube is ok.

• Like 1

I did see speak of normalizing then annealing the cast but yeah just pritty pissed as the dude said the arms were "practically new", then got them home and put aside till now..

Unfortunately, same as nearly all of my kp stuff the part numbers show as non existant haha, second hand is me only option.

But thanks all who put in the good advice. Much appreciated.

Edit* read through that bulletin cletus, interesting write up. Yes it is the ones in my thread, all makes sense now cheers man