compression low on new engine

braden

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No disrespect but this is not something that you can diagnose only through the eyes, ears and hands of someone who does not know how crank and camshaft timing works or where the marks should be.

Trying to fix cam timing over the internet is like trying to perform home surgery via instructions on a postcard.

Simple answer, get your mechanic back and get him to time the cam and crank 100% correctly then perform a leakdown test - that will tell you where your compression is going and give you an idea where to go next.

• Like 1

OK well if TDC was properly confirmed and valves are in the right place it might be time to pull it down. Fresh rings should pump more than 40psi IMO. Unless you have a morry I guess then that's probably good.

low comp flathead will still put out 120+ psi. Saw a really flogged one put out about 40. Cracked skirts and broken piston rings. I run about 80 in my bicycle tyres

• Like 1

yeah already have timed it correctly and had checked but then I get people saying that number 4 should be rocking when number one should be.so that's what made me all confused

You do know that the crankshaft turns over twice for every one rotation of the camshaft?

So if it is on TDC then either one or four will rock depending which cycle it is on.

• Like 1

I had said that about the crank being out earlier.

But then thought about it and it wouldn't affect thec compression as it would compress on the next stroke.

It would only affect the dizzy

Sounds like head and pants off sorry buddy

• Like 1

Also did you fit the cam timing wheel to the cam? And can it only go on one way?

Haha yeah classic. I see by the pics previous page it could be done, but then it probably wouldn't be on rock at tdc

Braden if all the cylinders are low that would mean multiple valves bent...

did the motor break a cambelt?

Have you had it apart?

Edit: I see gear cant be reversed on this motor

/\

rliz5c41.wcf.jpg